Inspirational

I would like to learn how to blur the wheels a little and keep the rider in focus. Nice photo =]

Derrel pretty much nailed it. I used two techniques during the day. The first was using shutter speeds between 1/1250 and 1/2000 of a second to freeze as much of the motion as possible. (The wheels are moving quick). The other is to drop the shutter to below 1/250th of a second and pan with the bikes. This proved pretty difficult with an old 300mm lens and a monopod.

I would like to learn how to blur the wheels a little and keep the rider in focus. Nice photo =]

You need to have the right shutter speed for the conditions. "The conditions" is fairly encompassing, taking into account the speed of the motorcycle, the angle, the distance to the motorcycle. Ron's shot was made at 1/2000 second, a speed fast enough to freeze the front wheel's rotation with the motorcycle at that speed and angle.

When shooting digital it's a matter of estimation and experimentation. Slower speeds like 1/640 or 1/750 or 1/800 or 1/1000 might be needed to give just a tad bit of blur: the exact speed depends upon several factors. It might be that 1/1250th of a second is needed; if the motorcycle is moving at 55 mph it might be 1/640, but if the motorcycle is moving at 90mph, you would need a faster speed; this type of shooting situation is one in which the ability to instantly review your results on the back of a digital camera is extremely valuable.

You need to have the right shutter speed for the conditions. "The conditions" is fairly encompassing, taking into account the speed of the motorcycle, the angle, the distance to the motorcycle. Ron's shot was made at 1/2000 second, a speed fast enough to freeze the front wheel's rotation with the motorcycle at that speed and angle.

When shooting digital it's a matter of estimation and experimentation. Slower speeds like 1/640 or 1/750 or 1/800 or 1/1000 might be needed to give just a tad bit of blur: the exact speed depends upon several factors. It might be that 1/1250th of a second is needed; if the motorcycle is moving at 55 mph it might be 1/640, but if the motorcycle is moving at 90mph, you would need a faster speed; this type of shooting situation is one in which the ability to instantly review your results on the back of a digital camera is extremely valuable.

Thanks for the info. Now everything changes because I did not stay still but turned my body with the rider as they passed. Haha. I get it though. Thanks again. =]

You do turn your body as the rider passes but I turn from my torso and stay as level with the camera as possible. It just takes practice and you'll get a lot of bad images.

I can't imagine balancing and hold the front wheel steady at speed with one hand.

I wouldn't want to meet him in case crazy is contagious.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back