Instagram to own rights to sell your photos.

I'd like to say that this is their death sentence but I wonder if the average user will care?

Frankly, I don't care. Cuz, well, you know, they're Instagram photos. I mean, really?

Now if Flickr were to do the same, I'd shut that puppy down, like right NOW!

Ah yes but one man's Flickr is another man's Instagram, doesn't matter what the end product is as long as there is a market for it. There is a market for Instagram regardless of our opinions of it ;) I don't have an account either, it doesn't twirl my beanie but millions of other people obviously think otherwise. It will be a sad day for the photography world if Instagram survives this and continues to thrive.

Flickr would be a warzone in seconds if they changed their TC to do that - rather like how it happened to Facebook when they tried it.

That said companies that deal digitally with things know that the average user doesn't even read the TC let alone have enough general understanding to always understand what it is that they are reading. So they can get away with a lot of things like this. Heck a vast number of photography competitions are rights grabs for the company.
At present the internet does give us some outlet to inform others and organise counter action and appeal against these being imposed. The problem is getting the average person to care enough to actually want to push through for change.

Deleting account.

This sound legally dubious, but I guess when you have deep pockets you get to write the laws.

I don't have an account there but still, pretty lame. If true that, perhaps in the future, failbook sells instagram users' photos without compensation to the original photographer, that will be an instagram suicide. It would also be suicide for failbook.

Would you want to invest in or continue to invest in a company that time-and-time again comes out with controversial terms and conditions that anger most of the end-users? Would you want to continue to have an account with an organization that only listens to users when the company is in the spotlight and at first chance when not, re-arrange or change language in pre-agreed upon terms and conditions so that it benefits them monetarily?

This is just more of what I've been talking about as of late. People just don't want to share. They want more and more and more. These companies want more profit. Why pay stock photo prices when you can just acquire a photo service that has millions of users with billions of photos and just write up a terms and conditions that gives you the ultimate decision to sell the photos as seen fit and whether to pay or not-to-pay the original photographer (or fauxtographer)? I'm sure they'll wise up.

They'll be in the spotlight again for this and reconsider their stance. That is, until its no longer in the news and then it'll be the same old same old. Its because people just won't leave and failbook knows it. Sure a thousand people get mad and close their accounts. Millions will just go along with it all. In the past, there was a thing called boycotting. If you want a company to quit behaving the way it does, boycott it. Don't use their services. It has to happen on a massive scale though.

I'm not surprised. Isn't Instagram owned by Facebook?

I was just reading about that, and so of course, immediately came here to see if ya'll were talking about it yet. ;)

I've taken exactly TWO Instagram photos--but didn't keep either one of them, so I've got an account but no pictures associated with it.
I only created the account to see if Instagram was something we might want to use for marketing purposes at work (in addition to many other titles, I manage & develop all our social media content).

My first reaction was, "that's it. NO WAY I'm using them now, nor recommending we use them for work purposes." Bitter's right, they ARE just Instagram pics, but after all, it's the "principle" of the thing.
But the truth is--FB already does pretty much the same thing. Not quite as flagrant, imo--but if you post a photo on FB, it CAN end up on other sites, AND--if I recall the fine print correctly--they can keep using it after you deactivate your account IF they were already using it when your account was active.

Then there's Pinterest, which we are also considering using. Talk about a giant conglomeration of copyright violations!

I still probably won't use it, personally. Part of that is because I think it would just really irritate me no end if one of my photos DID show up on advertising somewhere and I got no credit, no compensation--but honestly, the odds of THAT happening are even smaller than the odds of me winning the lottery (and those are small odds indeed, since I never buy a lottery ticket).
Mostly, I probably won't use it, because...well, because it's Instagram. I've said it before, but I'll say it again--I *took* many a photo that looked just like that back in the 60s and 70s with my little Instamatics. I've spent much of my photography "career" working to make my photos NOT ever look like that again. :lol:

Of the millions of Instagram images out there, what miniscule percentage are actually saleable/commercially usable? I'm guessing something in the 0.0 x 10 -999999999th? I VERY much doubt the average user need be concerned. That said, I do agree that it's a slimey tactic and I very much hope the membership does revolt and cause them to change their mind.

I heard of this but never actually did the research to confirm it. I LOVE instagram and have lot's of pictures on there. If they do follow through with this I may shut down my Instagram account. I don't think it will happen though because they will most likely realize how many people start to leave. Hell, I know I will.

-Luke

Please keep updating this post if possible.

I guess. I mean, I just started using Instagram, but I wouldn't ever think what I do there would be worth selling myself. It's a fun little distraction.

I'll add, that I don't agree with the principle of it, and that it is ****ty. But, it is Instagram.

Last edited:
Do you think there is anyway out of this? Anyway to get them to stop?

Most reactions

Back