Insuring your gear while traveling abraod - HELP NEEDED

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently living and teaching in Korea, and am planning an epic journey to Tibet, Everest Base Camp, Nepal, Inda and then SouthEast Asia.

I will be travelling solo except for a few visits with friends along the way.
drumroll...
What do you recommend in terms of having my photogear insured against the inherent risks of traveling abroad?

If you have a link to extensive info or can recommend specific companies that are known to be reputable in the photographic community, feel free!

Appreciated!:thumbup:
Colin

Colin,
I am not familiar with Korea or how things are done. However here in America if you have house ins. or even renters Ins. on an apartment you can add all your gear to that. I Can not remember the term they use but my home Ins. Covers my gear every ware I go. It also covers against accidents, theft, and liquid damage just to name a few. I hope you can find something similar Because the cost is fairly reasonable. My entire business contents that I would ever possibly take out of the studio for any reason is around $600.00 a year. Then I do not have to Insure it as Studio contents as well keeping price down there as well.

In Canada my Home Insurance company has a Personal Articles Policy that has "all risk" coverage.
It costs me $15.00 per $1000 product value per year ($500.00 deductable).

My Home Insurance covers Theft and Fire of personal articles.

I think that some insurance companies also offer a type of term insurance that just covers you for a short period of time while traveling, Try calling your current insurer if you have one, and ask what they recommend.

Thanks for that great post! I actually own apartment insurance with my sister back hom in Canada. I'll be contacting them for the details!

Colin,
I am not familiar with Korea or how things are done. However here in America if you have house ins. or even renters Ins. on an apartment you can add all your gear to that. I Can not remember the term they use but my home Ins. Covers my gear every ware I go. It also covers against accidents, theft, and liquid damage just to name a few. I hope you can find something similar Because the cost is fairly reasonable. My entire business contents that I would ever possibly take out of the studio for any reason is around $600.00 a year. Then I do not have to Insure it as Studio contents as well keeping price down there as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back