Intense Flaring Problems

abaish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've recently moved to Arizona and have started shooting landscape shots under the bright light of the desert sun. Recent trips through both Monument Valley, Utah and back home to Maryland were supposed to return an amazing several rolls of shots, but instead revealed intense and large flaring ON (nearly) EVERY PHOTO!

My problem is that the extent, shape, and position of this "flaring" was the same in every photo it appeared, taken over several days, during several different times of day, from several different directions over several rolls of film in two states! I am concerned that this is a bigger problem with the lens or camera itself and not a simple hood purchase fix.

My avatar is a sample of the phenomena I'm describing, which I've also posted to the Photo Gallery. This is very diagnostic of the problem in each of 50+ photos.

Last edited:
Post an example. What camera? Without seeing, I'm guessing either holes in the curtain or light leaks.

Right. Your avatar does not show lens flare. Looks more like a
light leak but a larger example would help.

To all who asked for a larger photo, if you proceed to my public profile, a larger version of the photo is posted there.

The camera listed on the profile, an Olympus OM-PC 35mm, is the same camera on which this photo was taken.

If this is a light leak, should not all of my photos (5 rolls of film) have this problem consistantly across all photos, and not just 50-75% of them. All were shot in full sun or only partly cloudy days with ISO 200, with a mixed bag of both weather conditions both exhibiting and not exhibiting this phenomena.

So after doing a little poking around on the internet, these seem to be some kind of intermittant light leaks, regardless of how I feel about how they seem to only crop up in pictures at random.

My new favorite question is how to fix them. I would prefer not to outlay the cash to get the camera professionally repaired if this is something I can fix easily at home.

Thanks, everybody.

So after doing a little poking around on the internet, these seem to be some kind of intermittant light leaks, regardless of how I feel about how they seem to only crop up in pictures at random.

Leaks are rarely intermittent, only seems that way. If you exposed, advanced, exposed, advanced rather rapidly, frame #2 may not show that leak at all as it was never in the film gate long enough. Keep in mind the image on your negative as it sits in the gate is upside down and reversed. A leak on the top of your neg is coming from the bottom of your camera, etc. Also, the color of the leak may be a hint. If it looks more red or orange, it may be a clue it's coming from the back of the camera rather than the front (red layer is rear-most of the emulsions on a neg).

My new favorite question is how to fix them. I would prefer not to outlay the cash to get the camera professionally repaired if this is something I can fix easily at home.
Thanks, everybody.

Light seals get gummy and fall apart over time. Resealing is no big deal, you just need to be careful, especially around your mirror. This guy has a great reputation for seal kits. You can also make your own.

Regards,
Matthew

The OM-PC has the usual light seals around the film compartment plus it also
has a transparent window in the film door to show the film canister in use
with foam seal material surrounding that too. All of it would have to be
replaced.

You might try putting some opaque tape over the transparent window and
shoot a roll to see if that is the problem. If so, you could get by with just
using the tape until you got the seals replaced.

Most reactions

Back