The biggest upgrade I've ever made.

greybeard

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I edit all my photos. For the past several years I've been using a Dell Inspiron 17" laptop with and old version of lightroom and Photo Shop. A few days ago I went to Sam's and bought a HP Envy with a 32" monitor. I was able to get my copy of PS to work but no luck with Lr. I tried the new subscription version for about 1/2 day. What an over bloated piece of crap! So I bought Luminar neo. I like some things about it better than Lr. I can learn to work with it. But, what has really made a difference is the new computer. For the price of a intro camera body, I improved just about every aspect of my editing.

That's good. Nothing worse than editing pictures with things lagging. I know a lot of people have issues with performance and Lightroom/Photoshop. But its not because its bloated, they require high performance hardware.

I built my PC back in 2019 specifically to run Lightroom 🤣

Lightroom LOVES a high single core clock speed. Mine is running about 5ghz and both Lightroom and Photoshop run fast, hardly any lag. Takes seconds to open. Also a dedicated GPU benefits Lightroom greatly. 16GB of ram is absolute minimal for running Lightroom/Photoshop.

I realize not everyone wants to build or buy a high end PC to edit photos, but that's why more resource efficient software is available, like Luminar. I know a few people who really like it! I been using Lightroom since it was in beta for Windows so I have a system and I'm quite accustomed to it now.

I'm glad you found something that works! :)

That's good. Nothing worse than editing pictures with things lagging. I know a lot of people have issues with performance and Lightroom/Photoshop. But its not because its bloated, they require high performance hardware.

I built my PC back in 2019 specifically to run Lightroom 🤣

Lightroom LOVES a high single core clock speed. Mine is running about 5ghz and both Lightroom and Photoshop run fast, hardly any lag. Takes seconds to open. Also a dedicated GPU benefits Lightroom greatly. 16GB of ram is absolute minimal for running Lightroom/Photoshop.

I realize not everyone wants to build or buy a high end PC to edit photos, but that's why more resource efficient software is available, like Luminar. I know a few people who really like it! I been using Lightroom since it was in beta for Windows so I have a system and I'm quite accustomed to it now.

I'm glad you found something that works! :)
I found the subscription Lr and Ps counter intuitive in that it insisted on saving everything to the cloud. The idea that Adobe has control over all my stuff, be it as it may, really rubs me the wrong way. My new computer has plenty of speed to keep up with the software, I just could not adjust to the changes in work flow.

I found the subscription Lr and Ps counter intuitive in that it insisted on saving everything to the cloud. The idea that Adobe has control over all my stuff, be it as it may, really rubs me the wrong way. My new computer has plenty of speed to keep up with the software, I just could not adjust to the changes in work flow.
You can and should turn off save to the cloud, unless you want to backup/archive. I run LR and PS simultaneously with multiple files open a catalog with over 25,000 images managing 3 seperate drives. Never slows down.

The other thing is your graphics card. LR and PS utilize the GC processor and memory to supercharge editing. A compatible card with 6-8mgb on board is required.

I should be clear...I use Lightroom Classic, not the new Lightroom CC - The new Lightroom CC kinda utilizes the cloud services more than the Classic. I don't sync anything with the cloud, its all on my local hard drives and its super fast. I do have my Lightroom catalog and cache on my NVMe drive. Also I render 1:1 previews and they ALSO stored on the NVMe drive. It makes a huge difference.

should be clear...I use Lightroom Classic, not the new Lightroom CC - The new Lightroom CC kinda utilizes the cloud services more than the Classic.
I think Adobe refers to everything as CC now, but you are correct Lightroom is the web app and does store files in the cloud. Lightroom Classic resides on your computer and gives you options for storage. Both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic come with the 9.99/mo plan. I don't use the web app don't want to as it's highly dependent on your internet connection.

I think Adobe refers to everything as CC now, but you are correct Lightroom is the web app and does store files in the cloud. Lightroom Classic resides on your computer and gives you options for storage. Both Lightroom and Lightroom Classic come with the 9.99/mo plan. I don't use the web app don't want to as it's highly dependent on your internet connection.

Yeah I pay $9.99/mo for Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and I utilized the other features included like access to adobe fonts when I do a little bit of graphic design. Also Adobe Rush is kinda neat, it's an EXTREMELY dumbed down Adobe Premiere 🤣 But it works great for simple YouTube posts.

Most reactions

Back