"Intermediate" Lens Choices for a Nikon D3300?

JeffWard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D3300. It came with the cheap 18-55 DX VR in the kit.

I'm looking to buy multiple lenses for specific needs. Budget is in the $150-400 range per lens (flexible). I'm a hobbyist, so $2000 lenses are out.

My photography needs/style in order:

1) Indoor, well lit (florescent) photos and video of exercises from a tripod (I'm a Personal Trainer, building a video portfolio for online clients).
2) Outdoor full sun beach/pool "Swimwear Shoot" photography, from close-ups to wider beach/waterfall/background shots. My wife is a physique athlete/fitness model. We pay hundreds of dollars every time we get pictures done. I want to learn to do them myself.
3) Bodybuilding show stage photos, indoors in a dark auditorium, shooting up to a spot-lit stage from 20-60ft.

I want to retain full auto-focus capability on my D3300, and I want to retain VR (I believe). Some of the less expensive lenses seem to drop these features.
I THINK I'm looking for a fixed Prime lens for video in studio?? (30? 50? 85?, for price, likely a 1.8)
I THINK I'm looking for a mid-level (price around $400+/-) telephoto 55-200, or 70-300 for the stage shots??

QUESTIONS:
I'm looking at Nikon/Tamron/Sigma lenses... Are there others I should consider?

Based on my needs, if you had to pick 2 more lenses for my next purchases... Which two and why? Options?

THANKS for any help from the experienced photographers!

JeffWard

The vr kit lens will do a lot of what you want. It be good to supplement it with some faster glass. I'd add a 35mm f1.8 and keep the kit, use for a while and figure out if anything else is needed.

It's easy for people to reccommend, but what one might think that they need, another may have no use for

Oh, I'd consider adding a yongnuo ttl flash also

The vr kit lens will do a lot of what you want. It be good to supplement it with some faster glass. I'd add a 35mm f1.8 and keep the kit, use for a while and figure out if anything else is needed.

It's easy for people to reccommend, but what one might think that they need, another may have no use for

The 35mm f1.8 for the video and in-studio stills?

Looking at the Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR for the telephoto...

The 35 allows you to not be to far away for indoor shots, you might find the kit lens does all you need in this range of the lighting is vet good.

The 55-300 is the natural telephoto option

The 35mm f1.8 for the video and in-studio stills?

Looking at the Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR for the telephoto...

Jeff, on the telephoto you might want to take a look at the 70-300mm 4.5/5.6 VR instead, if budget is an issue Tamron makes a 70-300mm 4.5/5.6 VC that is an outstanding lens.

First I too own the Nikon D3300, love this camera a lot, good low light performance, good DR and a lot of camera for the money.
So for portrait and low light scenario Nikon 50mm 1.8G or if you are doing a full body portrait the 35mm 1.8G might be ok but any half body or head shots and you will get a lot of distortion so the 50mm will be better for that.
My second lens I will recommend is a used lens, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, if you are willing to consider a used lens this is a good option for a fast lens which covers good range and for various scenarios, if you are planning to shoot body bulding indoor then this lens will really come in hand, the 70-300mm is a good lens but only outdoors with a lot of light, also shooting f2.8 will let you blur the background, the 70-300mm isn't too good at that either.
Used Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 should go for around 500$

My second lens I will recommend is a used lens, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, if you are willing to consider a used lens this is a good option for a fast lens which covers good range and for various scenarios, if you are planning to shoot body bulding indoor then this lens will really come in hand, the 70-300mm is a good lens but only outdoors with a lot of light, also shooting f2.8 will let you blur the background, the 70-300mm isn't too good at that either.

I'm leaning this way... The f2.8

Found a Sigma APO 70-200mm f/2.8 D EX HSM for Nikon on Ebay for $450...

Compatible with my D3300?

I'm leaning this way... The f2.8

Found a Sigma APO 70-200mm f/2.8 D EX HSM for Nikon on Ebay for $450...

Compatible with my D3300?
NO!
It doesn't have the motor focus, it needs higher body like D7XXX which has motor focus in camera to auto focus.
This "D" version was the very first model Sigma made, I used to own it, excellent lens but sadly will not focus on your camera, you will need a slightly newer model which has the auto focus motor in the lens.
Best look through kijiji or Craig list where you can test the camera with the lens to see if it works well and also snap few picture to see the lens work well and pictures come out nice and in focus.

If you need to ask more questions you are welcome to PM me

85mm 1.8g

You won't regret it.

Although to be fair, on a crop sensor body that lens may seem a little long.

I have the D3300 and the 35mm 1.8 its a great combo for low light and a great lens all around. FWIW it does not drop the VR because its a cheaper lens it drops it because it does not need it. Due to the fact that the lens if fast you can shoot at higher shutter speed in lower light removing the need for VR. I have never had an issue hand holding that lens in low light on the D3300. If you are curious as to how the lens is going to look set your kit lens to 35mm, tape it there and use it for a day like that (without changing the focal length). If you find that covers the range well enough you may like the prime.

If you are in a gym shooting (and the gym is well lit) the kit lens will be good enough to really hone in your skill. If lighting is an issue in your gym you may want to consider some cheap fill lights (I have used a halogen work light with decent results, you can get them from home depot for under 50$).

If you are shooting close to people you may want to consider something on the wider end of the spectrum. I dont shoot like this much so I dont have a ton of experience with the wider stuff. Nikon and the typical 3rd party guys make a few things in the space.

I want to sell my 50mm 1.8G, might fit the bill for you if youre interested in something on the low end of your budget.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back