International Travel

Jaszek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
michalphoto.tk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally bought my ticket to Poland (Sorry ClarinetJWD, no weekly meet-ups in NYC during the summer lol) and I've searched with no result. I heard if you have photo gear you can have two bags with you (not the check in bags) being that one has your photo gear. Is that true? I really don't want to check my camera gear in because i've seen how they throw the bags of the plane. I'll be flying Air Berlin to Zurich and from there LOT Polish Airlines to Warsaw.

So I finally bought my ticket to Poland (Sorry ClarinetJWD, no weekly meet-ups in NYC during the summer lol) and I've searched with no result. I heard if you have photo gear you can have two bags with you (not the check in bags) being that one has your photo gear. Is that true? I really don't want to check my camera gear in because i've seen how they throw the bags of the plane. I'll be flying Air Berlin to Zurich and from there LOT Polish Airlines to Warsaw.

You can check a bag, and bring two bags with you on the flight, but they can't be huge. You'll be fine checking your normal suitcase, and then you can bring your camera on the plane, and even a small backpack.

Call the airline you are going to travel with to make sure before you leave. Some airlines will only accept one carry-on piece of luggage.

I encountered some major hassle at Stansted Airport when I tried to get on board with my camera rucksack plus the "kangaroo bag" I was wearing around my waist to carry my purse and boarding pass and documents. I was told I was "only allowed to carry ONE item on board", and it would have needed to be either the camera rucksack OR the "kangaroo bag", even though the latter was almost part of my clothing. I decided to squeeze my purse into my camera rucksack and put the "kangaroo bag" into the suitcase to check it all in together.

Thus "fat", my rucksack definitely no longer went into of those devices that tell you that "only if your hand luggage fits in here it may be carried on board". Those devices are only made for quite rectangular bags, like business cases, and large ones at that, mind you!, but not for something as bulgy as my camera rucksack had become with all the things squeezed inside, too, that had been in the "kangaroo bag" before.

So the security lady told me to return to the check-in counter and check that bag in, "it must not go on board". I put up a veritable fight. Took the purse out, squeezed it into my trouser pockets, pointed to the amounts of space on the left and the right in that "measuring rack", told her I had gone on board other planes (and from the self-same airport only days before) WITH the camera bag and I WOULD GO NOW. "Pffft," she went, "they won't let you pass customs, you just wait and see!" and I replied "Watch it, they won't care!".

And they didn't.
But there was NO SUCH THING as "one item PLUS camera gear". Nothing to be had of THAT. (OK, but that was three years ago. Not sure about how they deal with things today).

fat as I know the only "trick" with camera gear are the following:

1) wear the camera and a reasonable sized lens round you neck - that way it does not get counted for weight or luggage.

2) photography vests - its not a bag its clothing - stuff it with gear!

Again there is no garantee that either of these will work - things like tripods can sit in the hold fairly safly = but lenses and camera bodies (As well as other things like filters) are best not left to the apes in the luggage department. Best thing is to make sure you bag gets under the required weight limits - if not then try the tricks above - but be prepared to pay extra if all else fails - you don't want your gear in the hold unless its sitting in something like a Pelican case!

Most of the time, you are allowed one carry-on bag and one personal item/bag. So you can usually get away with a camera bag and something else. I've often travelled with nothing but my camera backpack and a small suitcase. The suitcase was questionable as being an allowable carry on...and I've had a hard time stuffing it into the overhead bins...but it allows me to travel without having to check any luggage...which is a big time saver.

As LaFoto's story points out...your experience at an airport has a lot to do with the mood of the person doing the checking. If they are in a bad mood, they can give you a hard time but most of the time they let you go if it's close.

Guys CHECK WITH THE AIRLINE.

Weight restrictions and bag allowance changes not only between different airliners, but between different flights too. I had a lovely argument with QANTAS in Sydney for not letting me check the very bags I just picked up right of an Air Canada flight.

*Most* Airlines on *most* trips allow you to bring a second carry on bag. Some exempt photo equipment, laptops, etc. Check with your airlines.

When I flew Delta to and from Milan (from Indianapolis) there was never any question about two bags (laptop and camera bags) the only issue was that it was a bit dicey fitting the two of them onto the Canadair Regional Jet I had to take before I actually left the country. I think it is quite typical for people to travel with a carry on suitcase / roller and a smaller laptop bag or purse, so two medium sized bags was no big deal.

But call your airline, at the end of the day it is up to them.

I fly a lot and a lot international. Most the time they allow one bag and smaller personal item. Check with the airline and airport.

For example I have encountered in Heathrow, if you are fly through you can have two carry ons but if you are checking in they will only let one through security. Which is especial frustrating if you have two bags with fragile items. That you came in with fine and now they wont let you leave and you have to check one. :grumpy: I just ended up checking my laptop top bag, as my other item was a small painting that I could not check.

Not to encounter the same problem just recently, I just put my camera into my laptop bag which has several sections. I just put the camera and lenses into some bubble wrap and put some soft items around them. I stuffed the empty camera bag into one of my check in bags.

I guess it just depends on how much camera stuff you are brining with. Good luck on you trip.

FYI I have been told many times LOT likes to be NOT on time most of the time.

Last edited:
I talked to my teacher and he said that the best way is that to tell them you have $10,000 of camera equipment in your bag and that you don't think the airline would want to be responsible for that. He said it worked for him. Also i'm worried because the guys that have you bags after you check in like to steal expensive stuff and i've been told they know their cameras. I'll try calling the airline soon

FYI I have been told many times LOT likes to be NOT on time most of the time.
I'm used to them not being on time lol. I don't mind. I could stay a little longer in Zurich if something lol. 2 years ago I had to spend a night in London since we had heavy rain here in New York and an oil spil at the airport on top of that. When I got to Poland the next day My checked in bags didn't come in. Another reason I dont want to check my gear in.

OK so I found some information from TSA (TSA: Photographic Equipment & Film). People say to print this out and show at the airport when you have any troubles. Also before you enter the plane at the gate they might ask you to check you bag in but it is very unlikely and if something you can show its photo equipment and show the paper from TSA. Hope I dont have any problems :D

oh and make sure all you gear is insured well before you travel!
damage and theft as well as loss through their system would all need to be covered incase the worst happens

OK so I found some information from TSA (TSA: Photographic Equipment & Film). People say to print this out and show at the airport when you have any troubles. Also before you enter the plane at the gate they might ask you to check you bag in but it is very unlikely and if something you can show its photo equipment and show the paper from TSA. Hope I dont have any problems :D

TSA is an American administration. I don't think the airline that you'll use from Zurich to Poland will care much about their recommendations!!! They may well have over rules. Just call the airlines to check what they will accept as hand luggage.

Most reactions

Back