Intro thoughts: capture a scene or make an image

flyingember

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As a beginner everyone finds a style of photography they like. I believe there's three camps these days.

Capture a scene. you're there, you use your camera and use it's capabilities to capture what you see. using DOF, long exposure, flash, etc are ok. There's your photo.

Make an Image. You took a photo and it's not done until you've had a chance to edit it. You use filters, HDR, edit color, remove unwanted parts of the photo, etc. Photoshop exists for a reason. To make your photo better.

In between. You think photoshop is ok but you prefer to limit it to stuff you could do in camera like white balance, curves, color balance, crop and the like. It's a tool, not a replacement for taking the photos better but it sure does help.

which one are you, and why? if different, which do you prefer?

Photoshop is evil! EEEEEVIILLL!

I am the third type. Usually prefer "straight-out-of-the-cam" shots but photoshop can add to the picture sometimes..

I'm all three and neither at once!

How much or how little one uses photoshop has almost no baring on "getting it right in camera". I can get a shot perfect in camera - but whilst that photo is perfection its not finished yet. Maybe I simply want to make minor alterations to what the camera captured or maybe I want to use that photo as a base or part of a collage.

I don't really aim to set out clear limits or definitions of my work because it changes depending on the situation at hand and I think its a flaw in peoples thinking to limit yourself into one camp or the other.

I also notice a lot of new photographers tend to go through a "photoshop is evil" "photoshop is not real photography" phase of their learning whereby most of the "evil" is their own lack of understanding of the tool (photoshop). Its similar to the "manual mode" barrier whereby people think that its either some elitist hangover and that auto is fine or that its "the only real way to shoot".
In time most people start to understand - to learn - and thus overcome these kneejerk reactions to new things and to accept them for what they are and to adapt their use into their photography.

As a beginner everyone finds a style of photography they like. I believe there's three camps these days.

Capture a scene. you're there, you use your camera and use it's capabilities to capture what you see. using DOF, long exposure, flash, etc are ok. There's your photo.

Make an Image. You took a photo and it's not done until you've had a chance to edit it. You use filters, HDR, edit color, remove unwanted parts of the photo, etc. Photoshop exists for a reason. To make your photo better.

In between. You think photoshop is ok but you prefer to limit it to stuff you could do in camera like white balance, curves, color balance, crop and the like. It's a tool, not a replacement for taking the photos better but it sure does help.

which one are you, and why? if different, which do you prefer?
Jeez, not more of this BS again........:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Just take care of your own stuff and don't worry about what anyone else does or doesn't do.

Most reactions

Back