Introduction with photos (Hoping for help)

thinkanarchy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would first like to introduce myself. I already had an account here, but don't think I have made any posts before. I just recently purchased a Canon T3 with the kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS) and am still in the early learning process. I'm currently reading a book about photography which I've already learned quit a bit from, but not nearly enough. Anyway, I would like to include two photos I have taken so far, out of about 90, that I like the best and would appreciate some tips on what I could have done to make them better... or simply good. I don't mind constructive criticism. The two images are below, with the settings used. Also, sorry about the settings, I'm simply going off the data stored in the photos, but don't fully understand it seeing as it is in different form from when I set it in the camera.

It's also worth noting, I have yet to get to fully manual mode. I have tried a few times, but the photos typically come out very poorly.

Fire Hydrant:
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii602/thinkanarchy1/firehyd.jpg

Sorry, but for what ever reason, I can't get this one to show up in the post.

Settings used:
AE mode
Shutter Speed: 0.3
Aperture: 5.0
ISO: 800

For the above, I dislike all the black in the back, so I took more pictures the next night with more of the background showing but did not like them as much. There was always a parked car, an ugly fence, and/or a lot of stored siding in the background.

Dock Building
Settings used:
AE mode
Shutter: 1/15
Aperture Value: 25.0
ISO: 100
Originally shot in RAW

It seems out of focus to me. Plus I would prefer less of the cement in the foreground, but that can easily be cropped out.

buildlake1.jpg

Anyway, thanks for any input, tips, etc that can be given on these.

Were these shot with a tripod or handheld

You're right about the dock building being out of focus. In fact it's out of DOF (depth of field). Your camera focused forward in the shot. Look at the cement in the foreground under the word SAMPLE. That's where the camera focused.

Your camera should have some type of multi-point focus system and it was likely active. What multi-point focus really means is focus on whatever's up front. Figure out how to disable that and use a single point focus in the future.

Joe

Why do they both say sample on them? At a small aperture value, like in the second photo, diffraction can occur. That's where some of the softness can come from.

You're right about the dock building being out of focus. In fact it's out of DOF (depth of field). Your camera focused forward in the shot. Look at the cement in the foreground under the word SAMPLE. That's where the camera focused.

Your camera should have some type of multi-point focus system and it was likely active. What multi-point focus really means is focus on whatever's up front. Figure out how to disable that and use a single point focus in the future.

Joe
Ok, thank you, I will look into that. All I really remember is that I had a focus box and directed it toward the left railing of the steps. Sorry for the photo-ignorant words, but I still have a whole lot to learn.

Why do they both say sample on them? At a small aperture value, like in the second photo, diffraction can occur. That's where some of the softness can come from.

Just incase one of them happens to be a million dollar photo. :lol:

I actually just wanted to put something on the wasted spaces so nobody could easily steal them. I did the same thing as a child with my crappy poetry by mailing them to myself before posting them online. I'm simply the kind of person who likes to prepare for all unlikely situations.

I believe I was trying the extremes of everything. I'm trying to figure out what the max and lowest options do. Would putting the aperture more in the middle have likely helped? I figured since it was a bright day, a smaller window was preferable.

Honestly, my aperture as been at either the highest or lowest setting so far. I will play around with aperture settings and see what I learn.

Thank you.

First step to better photos is understanding composition. This is my favorite resource for basic composition: Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.
Any camera can create better images just using the guidelines for good composition. It's a lesson that I try to revisit every time I have down time or a slump. You can never go wrong with working at composition and every time you return to it you will see and learn something new.

The next step would be learning how Shutter Speed, ISO and Aperture work to create the exposure of the image as well as the creative controls. Keith has some good resources posted in this post: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/267492-info-those-new-photography.html
And on his blog here: How Do I Use My Digital SLR?

There are also a lot of tutorials from the very basics on at Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School

First step to better photos is understanding composition. This is my favorite resource for basic composition: Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.
Any camera can create better images just using the guidelines for good composition. It's a lesson that I try to revisit every time I have down time or a slump. You can never go wrong with working at composition and every time you return to it you will see and learn something new.

The next step would be learning how Shutter Speed, ISO and Aperture work to create the exposure of the image as well as the creative controls. Keith has some good resources posted in this post: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/267492-info-those-new-photography.html
And on his blog here: How Do I Use My Digital SLR?

There are also a lot of tutorials from the very basics on at Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School

Thanks for the links. I'm about to leave for class, but have bookmarked them and will read later. Thanks for the advice everyone has given so far.

Most reactions

Back