Investing in a new camera HELP!!

mjht76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a budding photographer. I have been taking pictures for a few years now and I am looking at upgrading my digital camera. What I know I want is at least a 10x zoom, the ability to take 'burts' photos, (for high speed shots). I currently have an Olympus C700 and I do like it but It only has a 2.1 res. I take a lot of high speed shots and close ups. I have been asked to do school pictures for friends and family as I took my own last year and they looked very proffesional. Even blown up to 8 x 10. I have been looking at the Kodak 740. It is in my price range and seems like the camera I have been looking for. I would like to work slowly into taking event photography and portraits and I want a camera that will affordably give me that option until I can afford a high end model. I would apperciate any reviews of the Kodak 740 or suggestions for other cameras that would fit my needs. Thanks in advance

Recommendations really depend on how much you want to spend. Based on your comment that you want a 10x zoom, I'm going to assume you're looking for a high-end point&shoot vs a DSLR. I'm a big fan of waiting until you have the money to get a DSLR, personally. I got a KM dimage z6, and six months later, I really wish I would have waited for a Nikon d70 (especially since I now have a Nikon film body, and therefore Nikon glass). I recommend the z6 as far as image quality and zoom go (35-420mm in 35mm equivalent), but the autofocus sucks in low light and continuous shooting isn't that great. Plus you have to wade through menus to get to anything. I don't really have any experience with other point & shoots.

The S5600 is a great camera with a powerful zoom 10.7x optical and 5.7x digital =57x total zoom but u can buy a telephoto lens or wide angle lens for it anytime it is 5.1 megapixel Super CCD sensor which really almost doubles image quality. it shoots about 3 frames a second and is made to be a great low light performer (great macro also). The only real flaw is it doesn't have a hotshoe therefore u have to buy a mounting bracket for it. but i just got a 10.00 mounting bracket and a Vivitar 2600 flash and a .35 wide angle lens and this camera is great.

Thank you all for your replys. I have never used a slr so I am unsure of what I would be getting into with buying one. I found another camera that I am thinking of a: Pannisonic Lumix dmc-fz7. 6mp 12x zoom image stabilization ect. How much more complicated are slr compared to p&s?

mjht76 said:
Thank you all for your replys. I have never used a slr so I am unsure of what I would be getting into with buying one. I found another camera that I am thinking of a: Pannisonic Lumix dmc-fz7. 6mp 12x zoom image stabilization ect. How much more complicated are slr compared to p&s?
The lumix is also a good camera, it has a nice lens.

For digital slrs you would be spending more money on the camera and you would also have to buy a seperate lens. There is also more to learn. The quality of the pictures would be better and you would have some more features.

Th one thing I noticed with the Lumix is that I can get extra lenses if I want to. That is some thing I have not seen in a p&s before. I have a very basic understanding of S, A, M but I am a very busy mom of 4 kids, and a full time job. So Have have a couple book but I just have not found the time to really read through them like I need to.

you can get extra lenses for the S5600 and alot of other non slr cameras i.e telephoto lenses, wide angle lenses and filters and around 8 effective megapixels its about $200-300 with a great image stabilization and the lens is fixed in one place non protruding you shuld check it out

Most reactions

New Topics

Back