Irish Horses

Well, I like the photo. But, someone mentioned the DOF and the aperture. My question is simply what f-stop would you have used?

I'm trying to gain information where I can? That's why I'm asking.

Well, I like the photo. But, someone mentioned the DOF and the aperture. My question is simply what f-stop would you have used?

Ohhhh... well I do'nt have a fancy camera. It was taken with a Casio Exilim. In fact, I'm not even sure what depth of film and aperture mean ! :blushing: I am here to learn tho! :)

I'll take a stab at it. If I were to come upon this scene, I would probably start by setting my aperture somewhere between f/8-f/11. That's usually a good sweetspot for most lenses and gives good DOF. To stop most of the motion, as in this photo, shutter speed might be around 100-125.

Like I said, that would be a starting point, but then I might stand there and clip of 20-50 shots depending how charasmatic the horses are being. I would vary the settings quite often to get (hopefully) the "one" that strikes my fancy.

Others can probably tell you better.

I figured f/9 but, I would have left the shutter at 60...

I doubt you were off. Depends on what you want to see. With the shutter at 60 you would have gotten more motion. That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially with horses as I see them as very fluid animals.

There's quite a few horse photogs here that specialize in equine and can give the in and outs on how to photograph them.

I'll take a stab at it. If I were to come upon this scene, I would probably start by setting my aperture somewhere between f/8-f/11. That's usually a good sweetspot for most lenses and gives good DOF. To stop most of the motion, as in this photo, shutter speed might be around 100-125.

Like I said, that would be a starting point, but then I might stand there and clip of 20-50 shots depending how charasmatic the horses are being. I would vary the settings quite often to get (hopefully) the "one" that strikes my fancy.

Others can probably tell you better.

Lots of great tips!! I'll have to try that during semester break :)

Maybe stupid question... but what exactly is DOF?

DOF is depth of field

Well yes... I can't think of how to phrase my question. Well this picture for example - does it have a good depth of field or poor? If it were yours would you have changed the DOF once you viewed it? Hmm.m.. does that make sense? :blushing:

Well yes... I can't think of how to phrase my question. Well this picture for example - does it have a good depth of field or poor? If it were yours would you have changed the DOF once you viewed it? Hmm.m.. does that make sense? :blushing:

Oh.....you changed your avatar!

Well, that's a very subjective topic. The most important part of your question is not mine to answer. This is your photo, how do you feel about it? I think the DOF you gave us to look at is quite good. Personally, I like the blurred wall, the subject is well focused and the background is a natural progression for the eye to follow. But as I mentioned, I may have tried many different settings while I was there. Each may have produced similar but slightly different results. For the life of me, I cannot just take one exposure and go. I like to fiddle with the knobs. (ewww, that didn't come out right). I take multiple settings, POV's (point of view), angles, etc. I also get a lot of rubbish!!

I think you posted a nice photo here. Now you have some other things to think about next time you go out on a shoot. Isn't that lovely? That's what I like about TPF, take little bits and pieces and try them out. If they work, great, if not, store it in a folder for future reference.

kundalini -

Yeah I get bored easily... my bad!

I think I took 100 pictures of these horses (there were about 20 of them) and this is the only one I liked ! Talk about rubbish...

Thanks for all your advice!! I can't wait to try again :)

My average isn't much better.

Don't forget to post your pics from the next round! Keep in the back of your mind that you are getting better each time you push the shutter release button.

Most reactions

Back