Irritating

Newtricks

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have an 18-105mm lens that came with Nikon D7000 body I got last year shots are fine from 18-70mm everything above 70mm has multiple spots on every image, cleaned both the objective and rear lenses and the spots still show up so I'll contacting Nikon USA customer service Monday. I can't help but wonder if others have had lens problems like this.

Also use a 70-300mm & 300 f/4 with no issues at all, only the 18-105 at longer focal lengths.

Going back through the photo's taken with this lens it appears the spots are in every photo regardless of focal length, there are a lot more that I highlighted.

View attachment 66759

Again, only with this lens.View attachment 66761 let's try this.

Last edited:
Photo link no workee.

ththsmileyjoke.gif

That looks like Dust on your sensor and nothing to do with the lens at all (you'd need serious problems for lens side effects to show). As for why it only appears with one lens it might be that you shoot this lens closed down more than the others or at less detailed scenes where the dust spots more readily appear.

~You should look into sensor cleaning. A blower like a Rocket Blower will clear some dust and from there you can look at various wet and dry cleaning methods on the market. Most good camera shops also offer the service.

The acid test is if the spots show up in the exact same place in all your shots, regardless of the focal length used.

But I'm with Overread.... I vote a dirty sensor.

Thanks Overread, I've locked the mirror up and cleaned the sensor, run the cameras cleaning function and shot all the lenses I use from wide open to smallest aperture, still it's only one lens this happens with. I'll call Nikon Monday and see what they think, the camera and lens are less than a year old so whatever it is it's covered.

After cleaning, do the spots still appear in the same place?

Umm... according to the EXIF that photo was taken at f32 (!!!) so I'm gonna go with sensor dust. I'm surprised you can't see the bacterium living on the sensor at that aperture.

I'm guessing you never use the 70-300 or 300 f4 at that aperture for long exposure landscapes so that's why you never see the dust with those lenses.

The cameras built in cleaning function does help a lot with getting rid of dust, but it only shakes the sensor. Static electricity can hold dust in place on a sensor and that's why you have to move toward using a natural air blower or wet/dry cleaning swabs and such to really get the dust off.

Honestly I'd take it to a local camera shop and have them clean the sensor - cost will be minimal compared to sending it into Nikon and it shouldn't take them very long at all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back