Is a 50mm too far from normal for a 30D?

Mark, you sold me on the 50! I realize now that I want portraits more than wide angles. I'll start with the 50mm!

Thanks for helping me decide!
Mihai

I believe it all combines. The effective perspective can change if you want the same composition, because you have to back up, increasing your distance to the subjects and shortening the relative distance between them. This also combines with the magnification. Given the size of an object in the image, we expect to be a certain distance from it if we were viewing it with our nake eye, and we expect other objects to be a certain size in the image given their distance from them. And given this distance from the object, we expect a certain FOV to show within the limits of the frame. In a normal lens, all this looks, well, normal.

Mihai said:
Mark, you sold me on the 50! I realize now that I want portraits more than wide angles. I'll start with the 50mm!

Thanks for helping me decide!
Mihai
Cool! I think you'll like it. If you can afford the 1.4, it does have smoother focus. It doesn't have the ring USM motor, but it does have a clutch, so you can manually focus while in auto mode without ruining it. And I think the bokeh is noticably better than the 1.8, but that will depend on who's looking. And it's solid! Make sure you post some pics once you get it.

Thanks! I will certainly post them. I'll try hard to wait for some good ones, but I don't think I'll have the patience. I will get the 1.4 - both because of the USM as well as because this will likely be my *only* fast lens - for the rest I'll probably go with relatively slow zooms, and then I'd like at least this to be FAST.

Now the only question I have is if I should wait for Canon to drop the price of the 30D in response to Nikon's D80 or not. Any advice on this?

Thanks,
Mihai

Mihai said:
Now the only question I have is if I should wait for Canon to drop the price of the 30D in response to Nikon's D80 or not. Any advice on this?
I'd wait till Photokina, which is coming up on the 26th of Sep.

I think (hope) I can hold till then... and when it comes, what should I look after? And when (one week later?)

Thanks,
Mihai

ShutteredEye said:
Mark,

When making the "human eye" comparison for the 50mm lense, are people referring to the "field of view," or the perspective? Obviously just b/c you put a 50mm on a crop factor camera, the perspective doesn't change, just the field of view.
Perspective has more to do with camera-to-subject distance than it does with lens focal length. If you have to back up to take a shot with a 50mm on a 1.6x crop camera, then it will have a different perspective than if you had taken the same shot closer up on a full-frame camera. So the crop factor can have an effect on perspective, although I'd imagine that the difference that the crop factor makes would be more or less negligible.

edit: this thread must have been sitting on my screen for a while before I replied, because I didn't see the several posts between shutteredeye's post and this one until after I posted it. so I'm pretty much being redundant here, but whatever.

Mihai said:
I think (hope) I can hold till then... and when it comes, what should I look after? And when (one week later?)

Thanks,
Mihai
I guess you could call the store and/or check forums like this. People talk. :D

Thanks, I'll check! I also fond a site with promotions on Canon's website, but it's surprisingly empty (for how many products Canon sells): only two promotions, one for a camcorder (GL2) and one for a multifunction printer.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=PromotionsAct

What's even more troublesome is that it seems that a promotion on camera stuff (bodies and lenses) just ended July 15th and did not include either the 20D or the 30D (only Rebel and 5D).

All the best,
Mihai

Most reactions

Back