Is anyone else's head spinning?

Lyncca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lynccaharveyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
From all the technology? Mine (and my pocketbook) certainly are! I've been reading, and reading, and testing and learning and buying, and buying....

Now, I know I have only had my camera for less than a month now, but I am very impatient! I have purchased a couple of the more necessary filters (UV, warming, polorizer), a new lens (ouch), an extra battery, and books.

Now, I need a backpack to carry all this stuff, a tripod (ordered), and now I have started reading about all the different flashes. :lol:

I don't want to purchase too much without learning what I have, but on the other side, I don't feel I can really utilize what I have without the other stuff! I really think I am going to try to resist getting a flash for a little while and focus on outside scenic shots (where is that damn tripod?!) so I think I can do without for a little while. But, hmm, those wide-angle lenses sure look cool. SOMEONE TAKE MY CREDIT CARD AWAY!

I hope it all (the knowledge & equipment) start to all come together soon! :confused: Does anyone else feel this way?

Yeah, I have a list a mile long. Although I would say get the speedlite next, it really is important...mine is off at canon being fixed :(

My next buy is the DXO program...it expired and i miss it tooooo much. Then some filters, a reflector that can fold up small. someday another lens. I have 3 that i am still playing with.

I just got a crumpler 7 million dollar home and I really like it

I completely understand how you are feeling...the lure of new gear is very temping. However, new gear rarely improves our photography...practice, experience and knowledge will go a lot further to helping you improve.

I suggest keeping what you have (and what you have ordered) and stick with that for a while. Learn what you can and can't do with that equipment. When you truly come to a point where you know your gear is limiting you, then you can think about upgrading or getting something different.

I suggest keeping what you have (and what you have ordered) and stick with that for a while. Learn what you can and can't do with that equipment. When you truly come to a point where you know your gear is limiting you, then you can think about upgrading or getting something different.

I'm not really looking to replace anything, just add to it. So far, I like everything I have, but I am limited. For example, no waterfall shots (no tripod), no night shots (no tripod). No good model (people) shots (no speedflash).....

It will be nice when I am so good that I think that the equipment itself is limiting my talent. :lol:

A tripod is a good idea...but really, all you need is something hold the camera so that you aren't. A beanbag, for example, will work.

Sometimes not having the right piece of equipment can lead to some great ingenuity and great photos.

I still cant seem to get a super clear shot even with a tripod but its been cloudy and foggy since i got mine...

True enough :wink:

I would like to add some warm weather and a few more daylight hours to my list of "wants" too, although, I surely don't have it as bad as most here in Texas -- but we also don't have any pretty snow to take pics of either. ;)

I am really looking forward to the photo ops in spring and summer too! but, yeah, us texans shouldnt complain too much

I'm the same way! I look at something and 10 minutes L8r i'm on line ordering it or running to the store to buy it. but I also agree with big mike I have more equipment than I know what to do with, Literally! I Have more than enough equipment, but yet I still want more 13 lenses but yet I have 2 more on my wish list!

to be honest I think that you are taking the totally wrong approach to photography. if you really know your equipment, have a few basic times like a camera a lens and a tripod, and are creative you can take amazing pictures. I can understand why people who are doing photography for money buy so much expensive stuff, but for someone who does it as a hobby I think that some people are under the impression that the lens and camera will make the picture.(no doubt about it there are hobby photographers with D300's and great lenses that take pictures I can only dream of) I would say that the lens and camera make up about 5-20% of the picture. There is some photographer that takes amazing pictures using only the nikon kit lens and the nikon 70-300 (nikon's second cheapest lens) while others take photographs with $20 holga's that make it into national galleries. I think that you have more than enough equipment as of now and I am sorry for ranting in your thread and this is no t at all meant to offend you nor this all directed at you. As you can see from my pictures I am not the most creative but am working on taking better pictures with the stuff I have and not dreaming/buying the stuff I want. Just my opinion, maybe I am totally wrong and have a lot to learn

From all the technology? Mine (and my pocketbook) certainly are! I've been reading, and reading, and testing and learning and buying, and buying....

I hope it all (the knowledge & equipment) start to all come together soon! :confused: Does anyone else feel this way?

Six months and about $7500 later, I think I have an idea of how you feel... lol.

It does come together fast, but the problem with being impatient is that we tend to want to take shortcuts and photography is not a hobby of shortcuts. It takes time, practice and then more time and practice.

I don't normally advocate equipment first and learn later, but my learning curve shot up so much faster when I had access to nearly everything I needed/wanted.

Yeah, call me wacky. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I just love to learn about ths stuff! :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study: :study:

to be honest I think that you are taking the totally wrong approach to photography.

Why do people always have to dump on people's fun? When I posted I was taking a ton of photos, people dumped on me...now when people are talking about buying new things for their new hobby because they are passionate.

Even on the cheep, photography is expensive. And when you are new and excited, hearing about what a filter or program can do is rather exciting.

Most reactions

Back