Is f2.8 larger or is f/22 larger

APPRo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My friend and I are having a friendly debate about aperture.

He insists that f/22 is larger than f/2.8 and I disagree, because it's measured as 1/22 and 1/2.8.

1/2.8 is a larger number than 1/22 isn't it?

2.8 is a larger opening than a 22.
Smaller the opening the larger the aperture

f/22 is a larger number than f/2.8. F/2.8 is a larger hole than f/22.

f/2.8 is a larger number 1/2.8 or a little over a half versus f/22 which is considerable LESS than a half...

f/2.8 is larger aperture opening than f/22.

f/22 is a larger (deeper) depth of field than f/2.8.

f/2.8 is a larger number 1/2.8 or a little over a half versus f/22 which is considerable LESS than a half...

f/2.8 is larger aperture opening than f/22.

f/22 is a larger (deeper) depth of field than f/2.8.

Thanks Pugs,

That settles that for now :D

Next question pertaing to open aperture = great landscape and portraits.
Correct

How does shutter speed now play into this.

I beleive a fast shutter speed is for action, and a slow one for night shots, landscapes and portraits

Correct

Aperture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

350px-Aperture_diagram.svg.png

That's it???

Come on guys!.. we need a few more of you to repeat the same answer.
I am kind of disappointed with your lack of willingness to help the OP...:mrgreen:

Next question pertaing to open aperture = great landscape and portraits.
Correct

How does shutter speed now play into this.

I beleive a fast shutter speed is for action, and a slow one for night shots, landscapes and portraits

Correct

more open is going to be good for portraits because it blurs the background...for landscapes you want to have a deeper depth of field so you want a smaller (bigger number) aperture.

as for shutter speed yes for action you need it to be fast. for night shots its going to need to be slow. For landscape I guess it depends...you could go either way...and for portraits, unless you are shooting with a tripod and your subject is going to stay very still...I would not go with a slow shutter speed.

Of course I am pretty much a beginner myself so if anybody wants to correct me go right ahead!

Most reactions

Back