Is Flickr really ignoring our © and selling our pictures?

Paul M

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't know, but the least you could do is more research before just posting someone's blog link and taking it as total gospel, to the point of linking to it in your signature.

Ya no kidding I would be thrilled if they stole some of my copyrighted work. Then I could charge them more. No, I don't think Getty (the owner of flickr) will be stealing anyone's work and it's funny how many crappy images are watermarked as if. :lol:

I don't know, but the least you could do is more research before just posting someone's blog link and taking it as total gospel, to the point of linking to it in your signature.

Ok I see sarcasm is the way of the land here being you are the second one to reply to one of my posts this way. Ok here it is. I asked a question in the title of this thread and was hoping people that read it would "help" either support what I read or prove it wrong. I don't take anything as "gospel" but I do think I can link what I want, in my signature if it will help those that are interested. If I found the evidence supporting or refuting the information on that blog (which I found the same way posted on www.nikonians.org), why would I share it here knowing I would get sarcasm from people?
Now I know why there are more lurkers than posters. Some people are nervous to post with this type of "interaction".

I don't take anything as "gospel" but I do think I can link what I want, in my signature if it will help those that are interested.

It won't help anybody if it's a lie.

If I found the evidence supporting or refuting the information on that blog (which I found the same way posted on www.nikonians.org), why would I share it here knowing I would get sarcasm from people?

Since you don't have any evidence, let's wait until you do to answer that.

Ok I see sarcasm is the way of the land here being you are the second one to reply to one of my posts this way. Ok here it is. I asked a question in the title of this thread and was hoping people that read it would "help" either support what I read or prove it wrong. I don't take anything as "gospel" but I do think I can link what I want, in my signature if it will help those that are interested. If I found the evidence supporting or refuting the information on that blog (which I found the same way posted on www.nikonians.org), why would I share it here knowing I would get sarcasm from people?
Now I know why there are more lurkers than posters. Some people are nervous to post with this type of "interaction".

I think it's a little strange that your screen name here is Paul M while your link goes to a site by Jim Goldstein?

I think it's a little strange that your screen name here is Paul M while your link goes to a site by Jim Goldstein?

errrrr simple (maybe too simple), but I'll type slow so you can understand....

I found that thread on nikonians.org and thought if people here saw it, they may be able to prove it true or false. So, I posted the same link they posted over there. Psssst...the link isn't to my page. I hope you understand it now. (It's time for you to re-read the original post at the top of this screen).

Since you don't want to read the link on the original post (someone's blog), I will jump start the research with this link:
http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2008/07/10/is-flickr-letting-down-its-users/

If anyone can assist in the research, I for one am still curious. For those waiting for me to do the research and post the results for the benefit of the lazy? Hold your breath please :)

Last edited:
For those waiting for me to do the research and post the results for the benefit of the lazy? Hold your breath please :)

You started this thread - I for one generally expect that when someone posts a thread they'll have something productive to say, not just a link and basically saying "Discuss."

Who's the one being lazy?

You started this thread - I for one generally expect that when someone posts a thread they'll have something productive to say, not just a link and basically saying "Discuss."

Who's the one being lazy?

My "productive statement" was actually the question in the Title/Subject line that attracted you to view the post. So it successfully caught your eye. I originally said I read the information on another site and I again "contributed" by asking a question/statement which again was ignored. If anyone knows of other sites that offer free sharing space and maybe products for sale, please post it in this thread. The link was to basically show why I am looking for another site/service.

So far, all we have covered is useless bickering and debate on who's blog was posted, what's the correlation, why I link it in my signature, and why I even posted the question. Is this your idea of something productive to say?

errrrr simple (maybe too simple), but I'll type slow so you can understand....

I found that thread on nikonians.org and thought if people here saw it, they may be able to prove it true or false. So, I posted the same link they posted over there. Psssst...the link isn't to my page. I hope you understand it now. (It's time for you to re-read the original post at the top of this screen).

Since you don't want to read the link on the original post (someone's blog), I will jump start the research with this link:
http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2008/07/10/is-flickr-letting-down-its-users/

If anyone can assist in the research, I for one am still curious. For those waiting for me to do the research and post the results for the benefit of the lazy? Hold your breath please :)

I guess I wasn't clear, but I was talking about the link in your sig that says "my flickr". Is it really your flickr Paul M or Jim Goldstein or whatever your name is? :wink:

I guess I wasn't clear, but I was talking about the link in your sig that says "my flickr". Is it really your flickr Paul M or Jim Goldstein or whatever your name is? :wink:

I guess I am misunderstanding the question here as you are giving partial information....I will post in this thread my "signature" and you can point out where I claim the FLICKR link is mine....

My flickr will be cancelled soon. Click link to see why.

As I read it, and meant it to be READ, it says MY FLICKR ACCT WILL BE CANCELLED SOON. CLICK THE LINK TO SEE WHY. (the only link there is the one that says flickr) and guess what you get when you click on it....
I know, it's too hard for you to guess....I'll tell you...You get the post telling WHY I am cancelling my flickr account.

I see you and reg are not able to help. So, here is my last attempt to explain my signature to you (which is lame in itself) I have "fixed" the very confusing, mind boggling, thread stealing concept of my signature and link problem in hopes that we can go forward and address my original concern.

(If anyone knows of other sites that offer free sharing space and maybe pruducts for sale, please post it in this thread)

From here on out, I will just watch the thread in hopes someone will post something of actual value.

Now I remember why my kids are always monitored when using the computer

Last edited:
I guess the real issue is not the link you have now edited to read correctly, it is really our (and the accomplished Mr. Goldsteins) different interpretations of what flickr is and should be used for. I use flickr to display photos of a personal nature for the purpose of linking, and conveying my ability as a photographer to potential customers. If your stuff is that good it's getting stolen on a regular basis maybe it's time to start displaying differently and marketing to the individuals or companies involved instead of making a huge issue out of it. I would be willing to bet the door might be open just a little and opportunity knocking at that point. Something to think about, and I'm not trying to be insulting I just come off that way over the internet. :D

It is a well known fact for years that sites such as flickr do not really help people being aware of copyright issues.

I would not go as far as the author of that link and implicitly say that they encourage copyright infringement, but at least they do not really help to prevent it and make it easy.

It is a well known fact for years that sites such as flickr do not really help people being aware of copyright issues.

I would not go as far as the author of that link and implicitly say that they encourage copyright infringement, but at least they do not really help to prevent it and make it easy.

Thanks Alex. I am/was a new flickr member and was not aware of their "procedures". I thought it was pretty much safe when I saw many people using their service. I appreciate your input which sounds like a logical synopsis of the 2 articles I found.

Thanks Alex. I am/was a new flickr member and was not aware of their "procedures". I thought it was pretty much safe when I saw many people using their service. I appreciate your input which sounds like a logical synopsis of the 2 articles I found.

but keep in mind that images can be "stolen" anywhere. So you are never really safe. The best protection is to post only low res images on the web. watermarks can be cropped away, but you cannot produce a large print from a low res image.

Most reactions

Back