Is it a bad idea to clean THIS [pic] part on my own?

a1157814a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It's not so much that I want to 'clean' it, there is this like really small particle on there and all i'd have to do is like get rid of that SOMEHOW. I know that, that part of the camera is very sensitive and fragile so I want to be careful. Is it a bad idea that I do this on my own or should I take it to the shop? If it is possible doing it at home (while being very careful), how should I go about this?
Untitled.jpg

You have two options:

1 - Learn to do it yourself.
2 - Pay someone else to do it for you.

Your sensor will need periodic cleanings. I suggest learning to do it yourself. It's not as hard as you may have been led to believe.

If you want to do it yourself there are many options. Myself, I like the Copper Hill kit - be sure to select the right one for your camera.

(That kit comes with detailed instructions, it's easy.)

For small dust particles a blower will work and, I dont mean compressed air. A good bulb blower is fine. I lock the mirror up and turn the body down, then I give it a few puffs from the bulb. Then you look at the sensor or do a test shot to see if the dust came off. If it requires wet cleaning which is not usually the case then the kit suggested or, if you arent comfortable doing it the have someone else do it.

Another vote here for the Copper Hill method. Nicholas is a great guy and supplies you with all the information you need to clean your sensor.

If you don't even know what it's called... I'd leave it to the professionals.

It is easy to screw up if you don't know what you are doing... and it is potentially very expensive to replace.

If you don't even know what it's called... I'd leave it to the professionals.

It is easy to screw up if you don't know what you are doing... and it is potentially very expensive to replace.

Ahhhh heck, you take all the adventure out of things Jerry. I didn't know a omoclavicular triangle from a submandibular triangle until I took gross anatomy in college and we dissected our first cadaver.

Of course, come to think of it, we couldn't put the cadaver back together again when we were through like it was when we got it so maybe you have a point. :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

If you do, the camera blows up!

;)

Most reactions

Back