Is it a phase or is it permanent?

I love B&W conversions so much that I bought an old Nikon film camera, so I could shoot B&W film in order to learn more about what the real thing looks like.
:wav:

I love B & W, wether film or digital. There is something surreal about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I think it's a phase for you, a great one though! enjoy!

Well, I aspire to have black & white digital conversions that have the same aesthetic qualities as black & white film. I thought if I could hold b&w prints in my hands… pictures I took… it might help me have a better eye for it.

Well, I aspire to have black & white digital conversions that have the same aesthetic qualities as black & white film. I thought if I could hold b&w prints in my hands… pictures I took… it might help me have a better eye for it.

Very good, it might be nice start to something called "visualization". To get there experience is needed, knowledge of material and tools, real or digital. The process for many, many photographers is simple: first shoot, ask questions later. It means, they shoot without the vision of final "product". Later they try to "improve" the picture, often by converting to b&w. Maybe it will look better b&w ? This approach is fine, we all are doing it for fun, but it is a low level approach. What you plan to do: make b&w prints and study them to see, how the conversion works, will lead fairly quickly to good, b&w, imagination. Maybe then you will try real b&w film and own development. Why not. You might get surprised by how different this experience is.

I often wonder how many good color shots I might pass up because my mind is always looking for the perfect B&W conversion, either in film or now digital. Many times it's not even about the subject. It's about how I see something in tones and shades of gray. For me, B&W is a passion.

Most reactions

Back