Is it offensive to removes ugly moles and blemishes on the face of the wedding party?

Honestly those who want such marks upon their face removed/reduced will likely request it up front or in the review process when selecting prints. Also don't forget that these visual differences between people are not "defects" or "imperfections" and I think, as a photographer, its the wrong mind-set to approach them as such. They are simply a feature of the person - just like their eye colour. You'd never think to remove someone eyecolour or change it if it were "un-pleasing" to yourself and the same should go for permanent features of the person.

You can use some editing methods to help draw the focus and attention of the viewer to key parts in the scene and to move attention and focus from others, but not outright remove features of a person unless requested.

Note if they request removal you can then do a bit of sales work - you can either charge extra for the service or throw it in as a free extra (and maybe swing an extra print sale or two because the client is then getting a deal).

The only groups who work with "perfect plastic people" are beauty companies and glossy magazines who aim to present the artificial person.

Honestly those who want such marks upon their face removed/reduced will likely request it up front or in the review process when selecting prints. A lot of people would simply say they don't like the shots. If they are self-conscious, they will not want to even want to mention such marks.

Also don't forget that these visual differences between people are not "defects" or "imperfections" and I think, as a photographer, its the wrong mind-set to approach them as such. They are simply a feature of the person - just like their eye colour. You'd never think to remove someone eyecolour or change it if it were "un-pleasing" to yourself and the same should go for permanent features of the person.

That may be how you see it but it is easy to talk if you don't have any visual imperfections. Even if you do, confidence levels and shyness varies from individual to individual.

You can use some editing methods to help draw the focus and attention of the viewer to key parts in the scene and to move attention and focus from others, but not outright remove features of a person unless requested.

As a photographer one should be able to shoot from the best side and best angle and best lighting on your subject to de-emphasize any problems and then to further flatter your subject in post..

Note if they request removal you can then do a bit of sales work - you can either charge extra for the service or throw it in as a free extra (and maybe swing an extra print sale or two because the client is then getting a deal).

Not all customers are aware of exactly what can be done to remove imperfections and might end up accepting fewer photos that they do not really like. (put them in a photo album and forget them.

The only groups who work with "perfect plastic people" are beauty companies and glossy magazines who aim to present the artificial person.

Any good post editor an avoid that extreme.

If the feature would normally be gone in 4 days remove it .

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, That **** was funny. Thank you, runnah.

I appreciate all the feedback and advice on how to handle this situation so I posted two photos in the first post so you can check them out to get a better idea of what I'm working with. When looking at them in person, some of them seemed to be permanent and a few seemed like they would be gone in a matter of days. I didn't feel like asking her would have been appropriate or professional either and I haven't had to worry about this until now. Thanks again!

I read a few then skimmed, so may be redundant.

Ask your client, not us. You take out a mole and then later she says "hey...where's my mole..I love it" or becomes self concious about it. Or even still she says "awesome..thanks"

I always tell my clients "I can do some skim smoothing and minor blemish removal" and leave a pause..and it opens the door for them to go "awesome, get rid of my damn mole" or "No need...." etc etc.

Communicate. Period. Never guess or assume or 99% of the time, you'll be wrong.

;-)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back