Is it possible/compatible ... (Flash Question)

Geaux

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Visited my Dad this afternoon and while talking about my photography, he offered to give me his old equipment he purchased 10 years ago from a Pawn Shop (He's old, loves those places lol). Anyways, I thought there wouldn't be anything of use to me until he showed it to me. First off, all the equipment is old Minolta film camera. He had an old Minolta brand flash (5200i). I was wondering if I'd be able to use it as a second OCF along with my sb600, camera is d3000. I know I'd need wireless triggers, but how would I get them to work together?? I know the ttl wouldn't work, and I'd have to set it up manually, but I'd need to do that with my sb600 considering the camera I have. Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, along with the lenses he had with the group was a 50mm f/1.4. It had me salivating, until I found out that there are not reliable adapters to make them work. Seems like there are some adapters out there, but the loss of quality is pretty significant. Funny though, my dad paid 60 bucks for the Camera, bag, 50mm 1.4, 70-210mm, and 30-70mm lense. The 50mm 1.4 is selling for 300-500 bucks by itself. I'm thinking of just selling the equipment (He said I could), since I'm not really into doing film. Think there is much 'want' for Minolta equipment these days?

Google told me the 5200i is capable of doing manual settings. As long as you set it up manually it should fire with a radio popper. You'd probably need to use a 2nd receiver on the sb600 speedlight and you'd lose metering unless you paid a lot for pocketwizards or something.

Yeah, I understand that I'd need a second receiver for the sb ... just didn't know if radio poppers were universal across the board. Meaning, if the receivers were universal. I know the commander unit would need to be for a Nikon.

Sony/Minolta use a different hot shoe pin layout than the rest of the camera world. (iISO) Pre-1988 Minolta used what is still the industry standard ISO-518 hot shoe pin layout.

iISO flash shoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia check the pictures against your 5200i speedlight, and check the pin layout on your radio popper's receiver.

I'm almost certain the 5200 was the flagship flash for the maxxum/dynax range from Minolta, a pretty good flash at the time, so good I couldn't afford one with my dynax 9, so no doubt as long as its still firing it will be very usable as OCF. H

Yeah, the pin setup is pretty different between the two. So that means, I'll have to get two different types of receivers? Hope Cactus or some other off brand carries this type lol.

Here are some pics to show the difference between the sb600 and Minolta.

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back