Is it possible to feel sorry for a crow?

MitchP

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1I1A8218_1200px.jpg

Tasting his own medicine! Great capture!

Great action shot. The crow was probably up to no good. (But they have to eat too...)

Yes, it's possible! I love crows. They are smart and loyal. I see red-winged blackbirds in my back yard quite often, and they are often just plain bullies. (I still love them, though. I can't stay mad at birds :pumpformylove: )

Thanks everyone! Yep, Red Winged Blackbird. The most aggressive bird on the planet. This RWB went out of it's way to harass this crow. Not that the crow probably didn't have it coming... I've seen these little berserkers even go after ducks and geese that happened to fly over their territory.

It's called a red-winged blackbird. They're beautiful but they're a**holes,
I grew up on an island in the Mississippi River. Redwing blackbirds were everywhere. And yes they are a**holes. I like crows. They are intelligent and interesting birds. And they don't forget kindness (or cruelty).

It all started two years ago, when Gabi began feeding local flocks of crows. At first it was haphazard—a dropped chicken nugget here, a crumb from a sandwich there. But the crows took notice, and soon enough Gabi’s hospitality went from being accidental to intentional. These days, Gabi’s crows perch nearby whenever she’s outside, hoping for a feast or even just a morsel. But the spirit of giving inhabits both the girl and the beast. Soon enough, the crows were showering Gabi with all sorts of loot.

Every day, Gabi leaves out food (mostly peanuts, which are a big hit) in the backyard for her groupies. In return, they leave her gifts—shiny baubles like polished sea-glass, and odder trinkets, like a rusty screw or tube of chapstick. In what could have been a coincidence or a lovely curiosity, the crows promptly returned a lens cap that Gabi had lost while taking some photographs (of a bird, naturally) in an alleyway.

I grew up on an island in the Mississippi River. Redwing blackbirds were everywhere. And yes they are a**holes. I like crows. They are intelligent and interesting birds. And they don't forget kindness (or cruelty).

It all started two years ago, when Gabi began feeding local flocks of crows. At first it was haphazard—a dropped chicken nugget here, a crumb from a sandwich there. But the crows took notice, and soon enough Gabi’s hospitality went from being accidental to intentional. These days, Gabi’s crows perch nearby whenever she’s outside, hoping for a feast or even just a morsel. But the spirit of giving inhabits both the girl and the beast. Soon enough, the crows were showering Gabi with all sorts of loot.

Every day, Gabi leaves out food (mostly peanuts, which are a big hit) in the backyard for her groupies. In return, they leave her gifts—shiny baubles like polished sea-glass, and odder trinkets, like a rusty screw or tube of chapstick. In what could have been a coincidence or a lovely curiosity, the crows promptly returned a lens cap that Gabi had lost while taking some photographs (of a bird, naturally) in an alleyway.

It is my goal in life to be friends with a crow.

We had the Redwings in NY, they were often at the feeder, but I never felt that they were jerks. maybe because we didn't get big groups?

The Starlings, on the other hand, can all go extinct as far as I'm concerned.

They don't even like each other. Quarrelsome, noisy birds.

We had the Redwings in NY, they were often at the feeder, but I never felt that they were jerks. maybe because we didn't get big groups?

They become aggressive defending their territory, which seems to change every couple of minutes. Maybe the feeder is a neutral zone? Here's on going after bigger game:

Most reactions

Back