Is it possible to keep exposure records on camera?

photobug2020

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've taken some pictures with my newly purchased Nikon D3200. Today I experimented with various f-stops in the Aperture priority mode. But I did not write down anything. Once I uploaded the pics to my computer, I can see no records of f-stops that I used while taking pics.

Is there a way I can make my camera keep exposure records on camera?

Typically, the software that comes with the camera will display this information. Or, you can use a 3-rd party software like Opanda.

Also, on your camera in image preview mode, if you press UP on the directional pad, you can see image information such as a histogram, ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc.

I use a free, desktop application/widget kinda thing called EXIF Reader 3.7 to get EXIF information for stuff I run into, when I do not want to launch a full-blown app like Lightroom or Adobe Bridge. Opanda is another one, as 480Sparky mentioned.

If you download Picasa from Google, it gives you a thorough breakdown of the exposure and camera information on the right of the photo, and a histogram on the left. It's also free.

If you even use the basic Windows Picture Manager (and others) just try File, Properties.
This opens up property information, which if you click "More" will give you information about Focal Length, F-number, Exposure Time, Metering Mode, exposure compensation and other items.

So you can probably look at the basics right now with what you have.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but you could try looking at the exif data.

Most reactions

Back