Is it possible to learn on my own????

Im also trying to teach myself and finding it difficult to grasp at times.. but there are loads of online tutorials and books to help, and I learn by "doing" so im always taking photos with my camera any chance I get, even taking photos in my garden of the same thing (like a flower) but using a different exposure every time to see the difference and what works and what doesent. photography courses are expensive in scotland but I will be going to one when I can afford it as this is a passion for me but for now im getting advice from this forum... reading alot!... and shooting alot! I have improved... but slowly! You cant hurry this kind of thing!:)

Your local library has MANY books about photography. The Kodak corporation published many,many titles aimed at teaching people how to take photos. Photography's exposure basics have remained unchanged now that we are in the digital camera era. Flash photography techniques, composition, light and lighting, and "getting good pictures" are basically timeless, mostly unchanging endeavors. I'd suggest going to the library and looking through the photography how-to section. There will surely be a book or two or three that will be able to give you basically a short course in photography.

Very good advice indeed. Those Kodak booklets were a good reference to a lot of starting photographers back in the stone age of slow film and expensive processing. As you say the techniques of photography have not changed and those older books are in every way still relevant. They can still be had real cheap at garage sales and second hand book sellers.

You do realize that what you propose does require a fair bit of work and commitment of time and resources. It also requires real reading, not just perusing forums for a quick answer, and critical self evaluation of progress made. In this age of folks (mostly the younger crowd) wanting instant gratification the required work to achieve quality self education is a tall order. Nothing wrong with forums, they can be a tremendous learning tool, but all too often a very simple question is asked that easily could have been answered fully and comprehensively with about five minutes of careful reading of the relevant material, instead of uncounted numbers of often times contradictory and incomplete responses. (rant over).

You do realize that what you propose does require a fair bit of work and commitment of time and resources. It also requires real reading, not just perusing forums for a quick answer, and critical self evaluation of progress made. In this age of folks (mostly the younger crowd) wanting instant gratification the required work to achieve quality self education is a tall order. Nothing wrong with forums, they can be a tremendous learning tool, but all too often a very simple question is asked that easily could have been answered fully and comprehensively with about five minutes of careful reading of the relevant material, instead of uncounted numbers of often times contradictory and incomplete responses. (rant over).

absolutely the truth and should be quoted to half the beginners asking questions

Nothing wrong with forums, they can be a tremendous learning tool, but all too often a very simple question is asked that easily could have been answered fully and comprehensively with about five minutes of careful reading of the relevant material, instead of uncounted numbers of often times contradictory and incomplete responses.

absolutely the truth and should be quoted to half the beginners asking questions

The above is hereby anointed with the Proper Title of Patrice's Rule for Learning Basic Photography.
Thumbsup.gif

Several observations:
1) You don’t know what you don’t know. So trying to learn about the things you THINK you don’t know often misses important stuff that you were not even aware of. It helps to have external sources to tell you what you need to know about. (example: you can’t figure out why your shots either have blown highlights or black shadows. The missing information may be “dynamic range”.)
2) Ultimately, everyone learns on their own. Until YOU make the links between the information being presented (whether in a class, a tutorial, an on-line forum, a book, or in a mentoring session), and the results you’re getting, it’s all a bunch of blah-blah hooey. And that means that you have to try to apply what you’re learning until it starts to make sense, starts to click, starts to give you the results you’re going for.
3) Mastering the technical stuff doesn’t mean your photos will look good. Photography is a member of the visual arts, and the visual arts have a very rich history of accumulated knowledge, conventions, customs, and techniques. It’s all about the light. And the light reveals textures, tones, colours, surfaces. If light is yang, then shadow is ying, creating the stage for the light, working with the light to reveal and conceal. We are blessed by having many rich sources of information and insight surrounding us, but we need to take the time to stop and study, whether it is an art class, or a show in a museum, or a product photograph.
4) Timing is the difference between a joke that sparkles, and one that falls flat. Photography also relies on timing to capture the “peak” moment. But to capture the “moment” requires both anticipation and preparation, learning to see what is developing and anticipating the right moment to do the capture. Timing requires practice – lots of it. You can’t be fiddling with your camera controls when the “moment” happens.
5) Learning doesn’t happen until there is a link between conception and reflection: what was I trying to do, and how well did the results convey my intent? Learning requires the suspension of ego. Learning requires the deliberate acknowledgement of failure. Learning requires admission that you can do much, much better. It’s really hard to take a good picture when you’re busy patting yourself on the back.
6) Learning requires experimentation. Doing something the same way and expecting a different result is…. Well, you know. Learning requires getting out of the comfort zone. Learning requires making mistakes. Lots of them. Thankfully, with digital technology, these don’t cost you anything. Good experimentation requires a purpose, a methodology, and a way to analyze the results. Limit the number of variables, and concentrate on the key element or technique you’re trying to understand.

Of course, the more you know, the more you realize there is to learn.

Is it possible to learn on my own????
Sure!

I learned photography on my own 30 years ago, long before the internet really took off. I got most of my knowledge by borrowing books from the public library.

The key is motivation and an ability to assimilate technical information.

It is very much possible to learn on your own. There are both technical and creative components to learning learning photography. Learn the technical by reading and shooting. Analyze your images and figure out where your technique went wrong. Learn the creative by looking at what other successful photographers have done and learning basic rules of composition (and when it is appropriate to break them). Analyze your own images and figure out where your creativity went wrong.

Study, practice and learn from your mistakes.

I learned everything I do (still learning) on my own. I never knew anyone else who was into photography, it probably took longer than if I had taken classes but I feel like photography is something you learn best hands on instead of in a book.

With that said, google is your friend!!! There's tons of great info on this site as well so don't hesitate to ask questions :)

Several observations:
1) You don’t know what you don’t know. So trying to learn about the things you THINK you don’t know often misses important stuff that you were not even aware of. It helps to have external sources to tell you what you need to know about. (example: you can’t figure out why your shots either have blown highlights or black shadows. The missing information may be “dynamic range”.)
2) Ultimately, everyone learns on their own. Until YOU make the links between the information being presented (whether in a class, a tutorial, an on-line forum, a book, or in a mentoring session), and the results you’re getting, it’s all a bunch of blah-blah hooey. And that means that you have to try to apply what you’re learning until it starts to make sense, starts to click, starts to give you the results you’re going for.
3) Mastering the technical stuff doesn’t mean your photos will look good. Photography is a member of the visual arts, and the visual arts have a very rich history of accumulated knowledge, conventions, customs, and techniques. It’s all about the light. And the light reveals textures, tones, colours, surfaces. If light is yang, then shadow is ying, creating the stage for the light, working with the light to reveal and conceal. We are blessed by having many rich sources of information and insight surrounding us, but we need to take the time to stop and study, whether it is an art class, or a show in a museum, or a product photograph.
4) Timing is the difference between a joke that sparkles, and one that falls flat. Photography also relies on timing to capture the “peak” moment. But to capture the “moment” requires both anticipation and preparation, learning to see what is developing and anticipating the right moment to do the capture. Timing requires practice – lots of it. You can’t be fiddling with your camera controls when the “moment” happens.
5) Learning doesn’t happen until there is a link between conception and reflection: what was I trying to do, and how well did the results convey my intent? Learning requires the suspension of ego. Learning requires the deliberate acknowledgement of failure. Learning requires admission that you can do much, much better. It’s really hard to take a good picture when you’re busy patting yourself on the back.
6) Learning requires experimentation. Doing something the same way and expecting a different result is…. Well, you know. Learning requires getting out of the comfort zone. Learning requires making mistakes. Lots of them. Thankfully, with digital technology, these don’t cost you anything. Good experimentation requires a purpose, a methodology, and a way to analyze the results. Limit the number of variables, and concentrate on the key element or technique you’re trying to understand.

Of course, the more you know, the more you realize there is to learn.

QFT.

QFT means "quoted for truth". This post by pgriz is filled with wisdom. It's hard to pick a most-valuable point from his list of six points, but #5 is very important. As is #1. And #3. Excellent post, pgriz!

Thanks Derrel - now you've got me blushing.:blushing: Just trying to pass on things that I've had to learn the hard way. eh, better late than never. :lol:

Definitely possible. I've been taking photos for about four years - still an amateur, but I know my way around a camera - and I completely self-taught, save for a high school digital photography class that basically told me everything I already knew by then (the only thing I got out of it was some tips on editing in Gimp), and a tutorial I found on a blog that helped me figure out how to set my camera correctly for shooting the moon.

Yes, it is possible to learn on your own. I learned the very basics from reading books, and browsing the internet. Best of luck to you! It is well worth it.

Yes, it is possible to learn on your own. I learned the very basics from reading books, and browsing the internet. Best of luck to you! It is well worth it.

But you weren't on your own; you had all those authors and writers along with you.

Most reactions

Back