Is it possible? (Tripod questions)

MonicaBH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
More north of south, but more south of north.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it possible to purchase a carbon fiber tripod with a ball head in the $100-$150 range that is of decent quality?

I don't know anything about good brands or what to avoid so recommendations and suggestions are encouraged!!

I want something lightweight and portable more than anything else but again, I am open to all suggestions.

Thank you!

Google B&H Photo. You won't get carbon for that price...but you can search for tripods and see the price range.

So...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a non-sucky tripod in that price range? Or am I completely SOL?

I know nothing about them (other than that they're useful) but would like to have an idea of what to look for when it's time to buy.

You should really assess your needs before deciding on what you need. Carbon Fiber offers a moderately lighter weight, but that lighter weight also tends to sometimes causing the tripod to be less stable. Like in winds. You also have to consider what your rig is. They are weight rated, so a cheap tripod may not fair too well with a pro body, battery grip, and 500mm lens ( or even a 70-200 f/2.8 IS ).

I doubt you would find one in your price range though. The cheapest is probably going to be around $230-$250.

You can get a decent Slik tripod with ball head for around $100. For regular use I think it would suit the average hobbyist just fine.

I coupled a Manfrotto 190 with a medium ball head.

Last edited:
Ha. There's nothing fancy about my "rig"... No grippies or battery packs (yet). My heaviest lens would (obviously) be my 70-300mm. Carbon fiber would be nice but definitely doesn't seem like it's in my price range at this time.

I guess I'm looking for something inexpensive, lightweight, portable and that will hold a few pounds on it. Suggestions based on that?

ETA:

Thanks for that link. Now we're getting somewhere. :hugs:

Just throwing this out there.

These are incredibly well-made legs. Very, very solid and reasonably priced. I own them, and would buy again in a heartbeat. Payload is 18lbs (B&H is wrong, I contacted Slik and 18 is the latest rating out of Japan).

Slik 700DX Pro Tripod Legs (Black) 615-317 B&H Photo Video

I own these too and think they are exceptional, I think they are about 80 bucks at b@h. My dad liked them so much he wanted to take them and he was going to trade me an old bogen really heavy duty set for them but I said no. Instead I bought him a set for fathers day. They are a little heavy but they are awfully solid. I use a manfrotto 8rc4 (I think) head on them- not a ball head but I like it a lot for what I paid (I think it was about 70 bucks). so that is in your $150 price range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back