Is it safe to send my camera bag through...

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...those x-ray thingers at the airport?

I'm not a very frequent flyer. The last time I was on a plane, I got in trouble for having shampoo and conditioner in my backpack. :lol:

Apparently I never got the 3oz liquid memo.

SOMEHOW he allowed me to keep my perfume... but refused to let me take my shampoo and conditioner on the plane. :er:

ANYWAY...

I'm having all these last minute thoughts before I fly out tomorrow and it suddenly hit me...

I'm planning on taking my camera bag on the plane for my carry-on bag... is it safe for me to just put in on that conveyer belt and let it go through?

I mean, I'm assuming the *camera*, lenses and flash will be okay... but what about the SD cards?

I realize they're not the same thing as film, but I guess in my mind it's better to ask then to find out tomorrow evening that all of my cards are shot. :lol:

Sorry for the dumb question... like I said I'm not a frequent flyer and this is the first time I'm taking my camera with me on a plane so.... yeah. :biggrin:

You're fine. I make no personal guarantees, but there's no reason there should be any issue and I do it plenty myself.

You're fine. I make no personal guarantees, but there's no reason there should be any issue and I do it plenty myself.

So I can't sue you if my cards get damaged? :lol: :sexywink:

That's good to know. If you've done it without a problem, that's all I need to know, haha.

Thanks! :sillysmi:

My SD cards have never been ruined by going through an x-ray machine!

I haven't flown since they tightened things up so much... but I used to always request a visual inspection. I guess they still do that?

Visual inspection is for film only, if they still do it. X rays at the level found inside the carry on scanners won't hurt your digital camera. I don't think I'd send it through checked baggage, though - less because of the radiation and more because they're likely to steal or break your equipment.

I've flown a lot over the last year, and never had a problem. We send over 6K worth of equipment through the xray machines regularly, complete with memory cards.

DO NOT send film through however.

When I travel I now use a Pelican case because carrying it all around the airport was just getting silly, but before that I used a carry on and never had any problems.

You should not have any issues at all.

When I travel I now use a Pelican case because carrying it all around the airport was just getting silly, but before that I used a carry on and never had any problems.

You let the baggage people at your lens cases!! !!
tripod ok, but I've seen what those baggage thingies are like - bash and thrash and that's before the guys get their hands on the boxes for the tossing competitions ;)
I'd rather pay extra and at least keep my lenses with me on the plane - least then I know they aren't being bounced around and jerked every which way

I fly all the time, never had an issue with camera cards or computer hard drives going through x-ray.

You let the baggage people at your lens cases!! !!

When your taking 29kgs worth of lens and cameras you can't take it with you. A Pelican case with a TSA Lock, Cable tie and good insurance policy is a far better solution!

Get ready to get padded down Emily LOL.

Visual inspection is for film only, if they still do it. X rays at the level found inside the carry on scanners won't hurt your digital camera. I don't think I'd send it through checked baggage, though - less because of the radiation and more because they're likely to steal or break your equipment.

hahaha.... tells you how long it has been since I have flown (probably 1999). My girlfriend won't fly, so we drive everywhere... at least it makes for lots of stops for scenery shoots.... :)

I stopped using film in about 2000... and I used to always have film in my camera, which is why I asked for visual inspection rather than sending it through X-Rays.

Most reactions

Back