Is it time to ditch my DSLR and go mirrorless?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Switching to mirrorless has been on my mind a lot lately and looking for advice on what direction I should go. I don't do photography professionally, it's just a hobby.

Started with a D60...there wasn't really any mirrorless cameras out then I don't think and then the D7000 came out and used that to the point buttons starting falling off, grip peeling off, etc. Then I decided it was time to go full frame and got the D610 which I really love using, it's a fantastic camera. But lately, I don't feel like bringing it with me anymore..just tired of the weight and bulkiness.

I was at an event last weekend with the D610 and 70-300 VR and half way through the day, I ended up bringing it back to the car because I couldn't stand the weight anymore. I don't know how you guys do it with the D800/d4 + 70-200. I have much respect for photographers that carry that much weight for 8 hours. Its just extremely uncomfortable for me and because of that, I makes me not want to photograph anymore.

I can deal with my D610 and a small prime like a 35 and 50...but it's not ideal for everything.

If I go mirrorless, I know I'd be sacrificing AF, ISO and battery performance..but I think its something I can deal with. Many have with the XT-1, X-Pro and XE-2.

I'm just really lost right now..today there are sooo many options when it comes to cameras. I really want to enjoy photography, not have it become a PITA.

I done bit of switching to mirrorless and back lately. I recommend that you buy a kit to use when a dslr isn't practical. You probably like having the best all the time but it isn't practical.

I bought what I call my travel kit. I have a dslr kit, but when I want to travel light I have my mirrorless kit. You don't have to change it all over and you don't need to spend a fortune either

The main reason why mirrorless tend to be smaller is because the sensors are smaller. The Sony A7* cameras feature huge lenses, because the sensor is full frame. Especially with telephoto lenses, a mirrorless camera cannot save you anything at all in respect to weight. What you gained through losing the mirror box the lens has to add again because of the laws of optics.

If less image quality (and less good autofocus) is no problem for you, sure, go ahead, get a micro four third.

Otherwise you can look into:
- more comfortable straps, especially black rapids and the like
- monopods

The main reason why mirrorless tend to be smaller is because the sensors are smaller. The Sony A7* cameras feature huge lenses, because the sensor is full frame. Especially with telephoto lenses, a mirrorless camera cannot save you anything at all in respect to weight. What you gained through losing the mirror box the lens has to add again because of the laws of optics.

If less image quality (and less good autofocus) is no problem for you, sure, go ahead, get a micro four third.

- monopods

I have a Blackrapid, don't like it as it rubs against my neck and gives me a rash and I don't want a monopod to carry around either. Haha. Just not that type of photographer anymore.

I'm confused though, for example, a Lecia M9 is full frame and is mirrorless but the lenses are quite small.

When I travel on vacation, I take either or both: Olympus E-PL1 micro 4/3 and a Canon S95 P&S. I wear the latter on my belt which is really handy. Both of these are great for "slide" shows on my computer or HDTV and small prints up to 8 1/2 x 11". When I'm serious about slow, thoughtful photography, I take my MF RB67 film camera and heavy Gitzo tripod.

Traveling light is great and more relaxing.

I have FF's (1D), APS-C's (Xt1, XP1, XE2, X100S) and MFT (EM1, EM5).

Mirrorless is different than dSLR's. Not necessarily different good or different bad ... but certainly different. One of the main differences is the AF system. Top of the line mirrorless focuses similarly fast as my dSLR's (in good light). As the light significantly diminishes ... the AF slows down, it is still quite accurate, but one can feel a difference in focus speed. For me, for how I shoot and what I shoot, the main difference between mirrorless and mirrored is that mirrorless does not track non-stationary subjects. You have to follow the subject and keep the subject in the focus reticle while you shoot. This makes shooting action a bit harder, but not impossible as many will tell you who haven't used mirrorless extensively.

For what I shoot and how I shoot, my Fuji cameras delivers great images across a broad range of subjects from action to landscapes. The Fuji APS-C delivers good high ISO performance, great color, extremely sharp images, wonderful manual controls. The APS-X is a nice compromise between the small sizes of MFT and the IQ of FF.

I shoot practically everyday, I have the choice between FF, APS-C and MFT. Everyday I grab a Fuji over my Oly's and Canons.

I done bit of switching to mirrorless and back lately. I recommend that you buy a kit to use when a dslr isn't practical. You probably like having the best all the time but it isn't practical.

I bought what I call my travel kit. I have a dslr kit, but when I want to travel light I have my mirrorless kit. You don't have to change it all over and you don't need to spend a fortune either

I've been thinking about that..but honestly..I can't afford both systems. However, I have been looking into getting a fixed mirrorless camera, like the Ricoh GR. Thats a possibility. Its only a fixed 18.3/28mm lens..but I tend to shoot wide anyways.

Well if you are happy with a fixed lens that may sort you. There are cheap entry level csc cameras that come with a kit lens, add a prime and you may not be much more expensive than the Ricoh with a bit more flexibility, there is also the Nikon 1 system

One word of advice if you go mirrorless get one with a viewfinder, it bright light or sun at your back its very difficult to impossible to see the rear display no matter how good the rear display is.This makes it very frustrating to compose-frame a shot. There is the Hoodman viewer but its one more thing to carry or attached to the camera. I see some fuji you mentioned you may want to take a look at the New X-T10 Something I think I am going to pick up down the road. In no way will be replacing my Pentax k-3 I use for wildlife,birding mostly.

Still waiting to sell my Canon 6D and glass to a friend of a friend. Other then incredible low noise at high ISO of the 6D it does not compete with speed and focus performance of my Pentax K-3 thats more important to me for birding.

Last edited:

- monopods

I have a Blackrapid, don't like it as it rubs against my neck and gives me a rash and I don't want a monopod to carry around either. Haha. Just not that type of photographer anymore.

I'm confused though, for example, a Lecia M9 is full frame and is mirrorless but the lenses are quite small.
I use my small Leica fit lenses on my A7 and the quality is fantastic I don't mind manual focus in fact I love it on my M's and A7

I'm going to supplement my D600 with an X30 or something similar soon.

I'm going to supplement my D600 with an X30 or something similar soon.

I had the X20, but I really didn't care for it. Images were mush. But it was a 2/3 sensor haha. If Fuji came out with a X40 with a 1" sensor..I'd be on board with that..but it probably wont ever happen.

I really don't know what to do.

- monopods

That is simply not correct. Mirrorless cameras are smaller because, you know what, they have no mirror, or to be precise, no mirrors. Mirrorless lenses are smaller because mirrorless cameras have much shorter flange distance, i.e distance between a lense and a sensor. That allows for a smaller lense. And the longer the focal range, the bigger is the difference if we compare same quality, same focal and aperture range lenses. I have switched from 16 Mp APS-C Nikon DSLR to 16 Mp APS-C FUJI mirrorless, and FUJI system is 1) Smaller 2) Lighter 3) Has higher IQ

Autofocus is not less good either. It is slower, but more precise. That is because a mirrorless camera focuses directly on the sensor, there is no focus mirror, no need for calibration, and back- or forth- focus is not an issue by default. My FUJI focuses spot on 100% with a wide open f/1.2 lense. A lot of DSLR, even pro range struggle a f/1.2 wide open lense. Mirrorless AF is still lagging behind somewhat in speed in low light, that is true, but nevertheless mirrorless AF is not "less good", it is different. You just need to adapt to it.

Yes, it's time. Actually, it's past time. Run, do not walk, to wherever you go to buy new gear, immediately, and buy, buy, BUYYYY!!! Your photography, nay, your entire life, will improve dramatically and significantly. Just be aware that supermodels will suddenly flock to you, and they will want you for much more than your big lens and astounding photographic skills.

there arent that much smaller when you mount typical DLSR sized lenses to them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back