sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I *think* I want to try a couple of HDR shots for some work-related photos; I didn't think I was a fan of HDR, but turns out, it's really just the overcooked stuff I don't like. I don't like my meat OR my photography overdone...
Anyway...two questions. I don't actually know HOW to do HDR. I know (somewhat) how to take the pictures, I just don't understand the production process. I only have Photoshop, not Photomatix or some of the other software. I'd be willing, possibly, to get it if necessary (and if it is useful, above and beyond Photoshop, for other things as well). I've googled HDR tutorials and such, but the advice runs the gamut and I don't know who to believe. So, I'm asking here--HOW do you process HDR? Is there an online tutorial or a book you'd recommend?

So, first question: Do I NEED more than Photoshop? If so, WHAT do I need, and WHY? What do you do in one program versus the other to end up with the HDR image?

Second question: Would HDR even be appropriate for what I want to do? I want to retake a photo like the one below. The original was taken on opening day of our new facility, at sunrise. But I didn't have a DSLR at the time; it was taken with a point-and-shoot. My boss and our general manager LOVE it, but I'd really like to do a re-shoot and see if I can improve it. I don't know if HDR would potentially help or not. I'd appreciate any advice!

Knoxville Station at Sunrise:

New Dawn (93) by sm4him, on Flickr

EDIT: Also...I didn't have a tripod. And I know I clipped the ends of the canopy off, but I was as far back against the concrete barrier as I could get, and that was all I could get into the frame with my point and shoot.
The shot will be trickier as a re-shoot because I'll have to get a nicely-colored dawn sky and at the same time, shoot when there aren't buses on the platform.

Last edited:
I highly recommend photomatix. Version 4 is out and it is, IMO, leaps and bounds better than the version 3 I was messing with a year ago. However, PS is still considered necessary because you'll probably need to do some post work on what photomatix spits out. Well worth the $100.

I've tried to do it with just the cs5 'hdr' feature and the results were pitiful. You could do it manually with layers and masking and you might even get a technically better result than photomatix, but I imagine it would get tiresome after a few shots.

Try some of the freebies first, and see if you get results you like. No sense plopping down your hard-earned money on something you can get for nothing.

Luminance.

FDR Tools.

Picturnaut.

Can also give PhotoEngine from Oloneo a try! I just tried it with one photo, but looks like a very good alternative to those more famous ones that are out there. I tried it on a crappy laptop, and it was the fastest HDR processing I ever seen on this computer. It also handled the processing very well - letting me push things further without getting extreme halos etc. This have a free trial version that let you test it out before you decide if it is good or not! I for sure will try it more when I have the chance!

Oloneo - HDR Software

I have tested most programs on the market and I would also suggest trying Photoegine and Photomatrix.

others have already mentioned the best programs. I have seen great HDR done with photoshop CS5 but it is extremely rare. I peronsally use photomatix, and on occasion oloneo. If I had to choose one it would definitely be photomatix. Between the detail enhancer option which most people use and the fusion option you get the best of both worlds.
The shot you took could definitely benefit from HDR.

Thanks, everyone! I may try one of the free versions sparky mentioned, but both PhotoEngine and Photomatix have trial versions as well, so I'm inclined to wait until I've got my series of photos to work with, then download the trial versions and see which one I like best. And whether there is any hope that I'll be able to learn HDR.

Those who have Photomatix AND Photoshop...do you use Photomatix for more than "just" HDR? I'm really thinking I may be able to rationalize getting my workplace to pay for the program, but I'd have to be able to specify what it can do for us that Photoshop can't.

Also...any advice on a really good HDR tutorial you'd recommend? There's lots of them out there, but I'd like to find one that comes recommended by people whose opinions I've grown to value.

......... so I'm inclined to wait until I've got my series of photos to work with, then download the trial versions and see which one I like best. And whether there is any hope that I'll be able to learn HDR............

Try some of the 30-odd Shootouts we've got here.

The only thing I use PS for is to tweak for contrast after making other adjustments in which ever program I am using.

I have tested most programs on the market and I would also suggest trying Photoegine and Photomatrix.

OT, but still: fun to see how many that reads the R* that just is not there! ;) In almost every thread about Photomatix, there is someone that say how much they love Photomatrix :D

There is no R in Photomatix. Its a free program and arguably the best one for doing HDR processing. Some are gonna argue about it being free but if they do then contact me.

What can i say, can't type or spell.

There is no R in Photomatix. Its a free program and arguably the best one for doing HDR processing. Some are gonna argue about it being free but if they do then contact me.
So, how is Photomatix not free? What I saw was a trial version I could try, then Photomatix Essentials for $39 and Photomatix Pro for $99.

......... so I'm inclined to wait until I've got my series of photos to work with, then download the trial versions and see which one I like best. And whether there is any hope that I'll be able to learn HDR............

Try some of the 30-odd Shootouts we've got here.
These look like fun--but it looks like I'd need to be able to do HDR myself, since everyone I see posting images is also posting 'their' HDR attempts. Is it "cheating" to just post your images and see what others come up with when you don't know how to do it yourself? Either way, I have to at least wait until I've retaken the shot with multiple exposures. But I'm enjoying looking at all the images from others in the Shootouts!

These look like fun--but it looks like I'd need to be able to do HDR myself, since everyone I see posting images is also posting 'their' HDR attempts. Is it "cheating" to just post your images and see what others come up with when you don't know how to do it yourself? Either way, I have to at least wait until I've retaken the shot with multiple exposures. But I'm enjoying looking at all the images from others in the Shootouts!

Half the process is, well, processing the images. The worst you can do is try a set of posted images, give it a try, and not get results you like.

Many of us post our software and settings, so try some with the software you've got, and see if you get the same results as someone else. If you don't like the results they posted, try something else until it meets your goal. It's not "cheating"..... it's learning. And that's why we're here, isn't it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back