Is lens-to-filter step up ring only suitable for directly attaching a filter to lens?

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at this step up ring but it says "lens to filter." Does that mean I wouldn't be able to use it to attach a 77mm ND filter to a 52mm filter already attached onto a 52mm lens?

Basically, I want to do 52mm lens --> 52mm polarizer --> step up ring --> 77mm ND

Don't want to spend the money then find out when I get it that it won't work

If your polarizer has front threads, and they are 52mm, then it will work. Your best bet is to look up the specs on the polarizer model you have. Some of the slim ones don't have front threads. Some of the ones that have front threads have a larger diameter on the front than on the side that mounts to the lens. In your filter documentation, if it specifies a front thread diameter, then a step up ring of that size will definitely work.

I agree completely with analog.universe. Provided you get the right size, there is no reason it wouldn't work.

edit
Hell, sometimes I use one of my step-up rings to attach a macro coupler, and then attach another lens to that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back