Is my SEL24F18 de-centred :(

Noor_ar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello ,

The Sony Zeiss 24mm is supposed to be amongst the best APS-C e-mount lens optically , however I have noticed softness in my images so I did a quick test...

When I focus for the best sharpness on the right side , the left side is OOF and vice versa. I can try to compromise between left and right sharpness and I get less then optimal sharpness on both sides. Stopping down to f/8 f/11 helps to some extent.

Sample 1

@f2.8
Focused on the left :
l.JPG

Focused on the right:
r.JPG

Attempted compromise:
c.JPG

Acceptable at f/8
_DSC0089.JPG

Sample 2:

@2.8
Right side in focus:
r2.JPG

Left side in focus :
l2.JPG

Sharp across the frame at f/8
f8.JPG

Please inspect these at 100% and tell me what you think ..

Last edited:
Double click and then you can zoom to 100% , sorry the forum won't accept the images due to file size ..

I don't know that I've ever heard about this problem with that lens....you're right, it gets fantastic reviews.

I'm no good at pixel peeping, so I'm not much help with judging it. But could you maybe exchange it for a new copy? Maybe you just got a bad one.

I don't know that I've ever heard about this problem with that lens....you're right, it gets fantastic reviews.

I'm no good at pixel peeping, so I'm not much help with judging it. But could you maybe exchange it for a new copy? Maybe you just got a bad one.

Got it used for a bargain ... this is not an option unfortunately :(

I have the exact lens and love it. Maybe send it into Sony and see how much the repair would cost out of pocket.

I have checked with Sony ... all the optics are one assembly that needs to be replaced , I was quoted around 400 USD !

It could be as simple as depth of field. Use a resolution chart that is centered and exactly 90 degrees from the focal plane. That is the only way to know if you have skewed optics. Your photo did not convince me that a problem existed.

Most reactions

Back