What's new

Is Sigma the way to go for ultra-wide angle?

TheBiles

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 13, 2010
Messages
869
Reaction score
69
Location
MCB Quantico
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've noticed that they produce the widest lenses, which is an area that Canon doesn't really touch. What do you think about their UWA selection (particularly the 8-16 for APS-C and its full-frame brother)?

--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.
 
Canon has an 8-15mm lens...it's a fish-eye though.
 
Sigma produce some amazing wide angle lenses, no doubt about that one! The 12-24 seems to be an amazing lens for the price with little to hardly any distortion, my Sigma 10-20 is amazing. Also... Photozone.de seem to rate the 8-16 very highly, Photozone do not give out plaudits easily!

You are bound to get people coming on with endless stories about how Sigma lenses have poor quality control and are soft etc.. But I've also heard the same accusations thrown at Canon regarding some of their lenses. Just you don't hear it as often, because it seems popular to go on about how rubbish third party brands are.

I have a Sigma 10-20 and it isn't the best Ultra wide angle lens ever created for DX cameras, but can someone name me a lens that is much better? I'm sure people will say the Tokina 11-16 is much better. But Photozone.de seems to rate them as pretty even!
 
How does the build quality of the high-end Sigmas compare to L lenses, though?


--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.
 
How does the build quality of the high-end Sigmas compare to L lenses, though?


--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.

Well you have got me there, I am not a Canon user but from what I hear Canon L lenses are very well built in terms of sturdiness. And the ones I have held in my my hand have impressed! I find the newer Sigmas are much improved though, in my opinion the Sigma 50 1.4 is very well built. I am pleased sigma have done away with the rubbery finish and now just use plain old Hard Plastic!
 
Don't discount the Tokina 11-16 2.8, its uber-sweet for a 3rd party budget ultra.
 
These articles might well help you making a choice:
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DC (vs Sigma 12-24 on FF)
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma, Canon, Tamron and Tokina APS-C Wide-Angles (sigma 8-16mm not included because it wasn't out then)
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM Review


In comparison to canon L the sigma 8-16mm isn't a full metal barrel, the base is a solid plastic whilst the remainder is their own sparkly strange finish (I've no idea what that is made of). It's solidly built and whilst it won't be very usable as a hammer it will certainly stand up to normal wear and tear of general use.

Also a note - some people mistake the 8-16mm from sigma as being a fish-eye lens (because 8mm is a fisheye focal range to some apparently ;)) but it is most certainly not (it is however very very wide!)
 
These articles might well help you making a choice:
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DC (vs Sigma 12-24 on FF)
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma, Canon, Tamron and Tokina APS-C Wide-Angles (sigma 8-16mm not included because it wasn't out then)
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM Review


In comparison to canon L the sigma 8-16mm isn't a full metal barrel, the base is a solid plastic whilst the remainder is their own sparkly strange finish (I've no idea what that is made of). It's solidly built and whilst it won't be very usable as a hammer it will certainly stand up to normal wear and tear of general use.

Also a note - some people mistake the 8-16mm from sigma as being a fish-eye lens (because 8mm is a fisheye focal range to some apparently ;)) but it is most certainly not (it is however very very wide!)

Second link was a great comparison!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom