Is the Oly E1 an "oldschool" camera?

NyGård

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm currently a P&S photographer... i want to upgrade to a DSLR... because of my budget, i cant go over $1200 CA (around $1000 US i think). A store here in Toronto is selling the Olympus E1 with a 14-45mm lens for $1000 CA!! I think its an amazing deal, compared to how its worth twice that price, but then again i dont really know too much about DSLRs. I know that its a 2½ year old camera, so the technology on it is probably not as advanced as the technology on a Nikon D50, for example.

I want to get the best that i can with my "little" amount of money. I want to be a pro photographer, but of course i can only take one step at a time. Sooner or later, maybe in a year or so, i will upgrade to an even better DSLR. Until then, i would like to know what you guys think i should do... stick with the E1 which i absolutely love the look of, which is more professional both in looks and quality, or should i go with newer, more beginnerish models like the Nikon D50, Canon Rebel XT (350D), or the Olympus E500 (with either of these 3 cameras, i am able to get 2 lenses with them (the original 14-55m lens + 50-200mm lens). With the E1, it'll just be the 14-45mm lens (until i get more money, of course, but that wont be for atleast a couple of months)).

BTW. I'm a photographer who takes photos of everything from ants, to people, to 300m skyscrapers :)

Stay away from Olympus.

If you have 1200 at your disposal, get this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=371191&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
Or nikon:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=381587&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

It's really is a no brainer.

Once you start bying lenses you WILL want the nice selection which canon and nikon offers. And you will have a LOT to learn with any DSLR... and would probably be ready for "professional" shooting after a year or two of learning... by then you might have a second body which is better.

So get a nikon or a canon... and when the time comes to upgrade and buy lenses, you will have an easy time picking what you need.

Good luck.

By the way: BH is a good store and are very reputable. They'll ship to canada too for 20 bucks or so.

You can do a lot with the modern P&S cameras. I'd only get an SLR if you want to use a true viewfinder instead of the LCD, or if you want interchangable lenses so you can use primes. If you are just going to get a single zoom lens, I'd save your money and stick with a P&S. Otherwise you aren't gaining much for a lot more money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back