What's new

Is there a better deal out there?

rickztahone

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
I am really leaning towards getting the Sony a55 but i want to make sure that there isn't a dslr out there that might be a better bang for my buck. I would be getting the Sony at the standard retail rate of $800 no tax with stock lens (18-55mm glass). So i guess my range would be from 700-900. The 900 might be a stretch though :lol:
 
Have you looked into the Canon and Nikon offerings in that range? Read reviews on all of them? If you have, and you've chosen the Sony as the best camera for you, go for it. If you haven't, look into Canon's Rebels and Nikon's entry level models. There's an abundance of reviews (real ones) for all of them.
 
thanks. I have gone through some reviews but comparatively it seems the sony might be within the same range and i wouldn't mind paying cheaper for someone who doesn't shoot professionally.
 
I'll be honest and tell you I know very little about Sony. I shoot Canon, but I'm not a fan boy, and I'm pretty unknowledgeable about other brands. I know a little about Nikon because I have a good friend who shoots Nikon. I've read a lot of stuff on the various forums about Sony, and it's all been good. I say go for it if it suits your needs the best.
 
thank you for the honesty. I can say i am leaning towards that particular sony because of all the reviews i've read but also because of the price point. But what i really would want is for someone to tell me if there is another camera out there within that same price point that has similar or better capabilities. again, i am not professional but know how to work a dslr camera at this point since i am selling off my old one to kind of upgrade to this following one. thanks again for your opinions, they are greatly appreciated.
 
Have you considered used? I'm a big fan of used gear.
 
I think you'll find at that price range they all perform similarly. One may excel in an area the other two don't, but the other two excel in areas it doesn't. Go to DPReview and use their side by side camera comparison tool. You can compare several cameras at the same time. One upside to Sony is the availability of older Minolta mount glass. They're manual focus, but great glass for cheap-ish.
 
One of the advantages of Canon and Nikon is the availability of older Canon and Nikon glass. Many are manual focus but many are great glass for cheap.

There are a couple of downsides to Sony

Sony bought Konica/Minolta's camera division in 2006, just 5 years ago. Sony hasn't been in the DSLR business very long. Most of what they sell is still just somewhat updated Konica/Minolta design.

Sony inherited the odd-ball, not industry standard, Minolta iISO hot shoe design. The industry standard is the ISO 518:2006 hot shoe.
 
Have you considered used? I'm a big fan of used gear.

I think you'll find at that price range they all perform similarly. One may excel in an area the other two don't, but the other two excel in areas it doesn't. Go to DPReview and use their side by side camera comparison tool. You can compare several cameras at the same time. One upside to Sony is the availability of older Minolta mount glass. They're manual focus, but great glass for cheap-ish.

One of the advantages of Canon and Nikon is the availability of older Canon and Nikon glass. Many are manual focus but many are great glass for cheap.

There are a couple of downsides to Sony

Sony bought Konica/Minolta's camera division in 2006, just 5 years ago. Sony hasn't been in the DSLR business very long. Most of what they sell is still just somewhat updated Konica/Minolta design.

Sony inherited the odd-ball, not industry standard, Minolta iISO hot shoe design. The industry standard is the ISO 518:2006 hot shoe.

thank you all for the great advice. i really wouldn't mind used at all. I buy used stuff on other forums all the time. I just first need to do more research on those used cameras. the side-by-side comparison link will help a great deal! thank you.

Lastly, i see what you kmh when you say that the Sony is comparitively new. I will definitely keep that in mind when shopping around. you have all been a great help. thank you all.

any more tips/advise is still welcome. especially model numbers :-)
 
One thing to think about is the availability of new and used lenses and other gear, and the great number from other makers for Canon and Nikon. I've picked up several great used lenses on a local online site for decent prices. A friend shoots Pentax and has been envious of the choices that I have had, Canon stuff is listed all the time. I don't see many Sony lenses/flashes. etc, and not a whole lot of Nikon items. I would not have bought the lenses I have at retail prices, and am glad I was able to get them at 50% of retail. More lenses, accessories, etc. are available!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom