Is there a mid-grade UV filter?

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I just picked up the Tamron 24-70 and and need to get an 82mm UV filter for it. I shoot at night clubs and concerts a lot so it is necessary. When I shoot weddings and such I will not be using a filter, or don't plan to.

I just don't see myself spending ~$100 on a filter and don't intend to use it on the finer images I take.

So I am wondering if I should even spend the $40 on something like this Hoya which is a little more reputable filter company (at least to me)

Amazon.com : Hoya 82mm HMC UV Digital Multi-Coated Slim Frame Glass Filter : Camera Lens Sky And Uv Filters : Camera & Photo

or if I would be getting something of the same general quality as the cheaper Tiffen

Amazon.com : Tiffen 82mm UV Protection Filter : Camera Lens Sky And Uv Filters : Camera & Photo

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
why do you need a UV filter?

why do you need a UV filter?

Haven't been in a night club in a while have you? Very tight, bumping and pushing into people. Weird stuff happens. Like this
Aoki%2Bat%2BMaya-290-Edit.jpg

Simply not worth risking

I have a 77mm B&W single coated UV that's parked on my wide angle (skaters tend to kick up dust / dirt / rocks and get uncomfortably close to cameras). It'll flare if you point it directly at the sun (like most filters will), but it's not noticeably affecting the quality. Picked it up for $35 or something

Thanks for pointing out the $58 B+W one. Nothing on Amazon (my 'photo shop') was that cheap from them.

Why would you put a cheap filter on a high end piece of glass? Even if you won't use it all the time.

Why would you put a cheap filter on a high end piece of glass? Even if you won't use it all the time.

Because a decent filter won't break the bank or affect IQ unless you're pointing it directly at the sun.

But why spend $200+ on your filter if this happens...

1411711585517.jpg

Use a clear or UV filter for protection when such protection is pretty obviously needed. Otherwise rely on a lens hood and good situation awareness.

Even the best UV filters are thin pieces of glass (way thinner than a front lens element) and a flying piece of gravel or other debris could break the filter.

When a UV filter gets broken by flying debris the sharp shards of broken UV filter glass often get forced back into the front lens element the UV filter was supposed to 'protect'. An additional problem often becomes getting the shattered filter off the camera without dragging the sharp shards of broken UV filter glass across the front lens elements as the filter is unscrewed from the lens.

As far as image quality goes, even some of the not inexpensive UV/clear filters cause Newton's rings .

I have for 30 years, found the Nikon brand of filters to be excellent. And very durable. I have some that are 30+ years old and that have been used and cleaned a lot, still in fine form. Hoya's old HMC (Hoya's Messy Coating is what I joke HMC stands for) are okay, but seem to smear when cleaned...smeary, filmy,greasy cleaning problems, that is the reasoning for the NEWER style of filter multi-coatings; to create a filter that CLEANS easily, and in fact, tends to resist the effects of water and water spotting. I've always felt that Tiffen and Hoya ARE the mid-level filters. I get the idea of filters to protect the front of a lens for water-sealing. In fact, Canon's L-series lenses are supposed to have a front filter used on them in order to be fully water-sealed, and in places where water or champagne or beer or soda pop might be sprayed all over hell, I can understand wanting to have a filter on the lens front. You know, at the wet T-shirt contest, the ALCS winner's locker room, the big post-race podium shots,etc.

Just get a cheap zoom lens for these occasions. I guarantee you that your filter will ruin your front element when someones elbow shatters your filter. Filters are not intended to protect your lens.

Most reactions

Back