Is there anything i can do now? (Mixed light)

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I Was at a birthday party a few weeks ago, as a guest. I always shoot off a few pictures so the parents can enjoy the moment and still have some photos when the day is over. Figuring anything I get can't be any worse than the iPhone shots everyone else is taking. I didn't bring a speed-light because I feel weird doing flash photography as a guest. They decided to cut the cake at the bar. So my shots are backlit in daylight, the foreground is daylight from windows in front and back, and they had the incandescent lights turned on over the bar and over my subject.

I have aperture, and cs6. Is there anything I can do to color correct mixed light in post?

It's going to be a challenge; I know NOTHING about aperture, so I can't help you there, but I would start by getting the WB as close as possible using the WB adjustment, and then slowly, carefully and gently adjusting the various colour channels until you get as close as you can.

You can fully correct for the window light, or for the incandescent light, but you cannot fully correct for both.
The best you can do is strike some kind of a happy medium.

The pixels in a digital camera can not, and do not record color.
The algorithms used to interpolate color (do a lot of math) are designed on the assumption all the light used to make a photo has the same color temperature. White balance is how we tell the camera what color temperature is being used to make a photo, but we can only define a single color temperature.

The math that would need to be done to account for 2 light source colors temperatures would dramatically increase making the process impractical for a piece of consumer electronics like a digital camera.

It's going to be a challenge; I know NOTHING about aperture, so I can't help you there, but I would start by getting the WB as close as possible using the WB adjustment, and then slowly, carefully and gently adjusting the various colour channels until you get as close as you can.

This is what I would do.

My brother graduated highschool a couple weeks ago and the metal halide bulbs were making everything green (using auto WB)

My Grandmother who has white hair looked like she dyed her hair green. I killed the greens the best I could I think it came out to be a little better picture. However, the fern in the back doesn't look like a fern anymore.
$DSC_3944.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping photoshop could work some magic. I guess I'll make the birthday boy look good and try to do better next time.

Last edited:
A nice Black & White rendering is always a possibility!!!

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping photoshop could work some magic. I guess I'll make the birthday boy look good and try to do better next time.

The magic is done by the photographer, ive got a saying abous PS and other programs "**** in **** out"

The magic is done by the photographer, ive got a saying abous PS and other programs "**** in **** out"
You sure have a way with words, don't ya Gary? :giggle:

you can always make a white balance brush and try to get any odd or weird light looking correct.

Photoshop in the right hands can work magic -- let's see the photo.

Joe

It can in the right hands. ;) It depends on the complexity of the scene. Even in Lr you can use the temp and tint brushes to do localized WB adjustments on an image, and before that functionality came along you were able to use colored brushes in Lr; using an opposing color to cancel out the cast. In Ps you can use adjustment layers and mask different adjustments into different areas. Of course if you have a lot of these images it may not be worth the effort.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back