Is there something defective with my lense?

As far as the original query, "Is there something defective with my lense?

No, there is nothing wrong with the lens. The problem is just as Darrell stated. Shallow DOF on a plane not coincident with the subjects being photographed.

i know i'm inexperienced you don't have to constantly say that -_-. and instead immediately pointing to one solution how about trying to think of several possible reasons? there is never one single solution or cause of anything.
**Oh,really? You messed up. You say you shot in manual mode. Well, the SINGLE mistake you made was setting the lens to a wide aperture.

i know the guy that works there. he's not just some random sales that is helping me and trying to get rid of me -_-. it's just afterall he still works there and i can't just ask for an exchange for no reason, he has to see it too and it just took him awhile to see it (due to much dimmer lights in the store possibly? iono) like i said i stated i only mentioned that story to point out that factory defects are possible so don't rule out the possibility of that happening. if i knew a member was going to be so anal and caught up on that single point, i would not have mentioned it.
**and yet, you continued to think that the "lense" defect" was the cause of this single OOF photograph. Even though other photos looked good. Who is being anal?

now if you're going to just bash and bash and drive the stake towards your one and single viewpoint, please stop wasting my time by posting in here. I stated the scratch in the lense to open idea that there is a possibility of a defect and not just me, THAT WAS THe SOLE PURPOSE OF STATING THAT BACKGROUND STORY.
**And yet, you continued to suspect your "lense" had a defect. Sigh...

i dont want to keep this lense because your narrow minded @$$ tells me it's my fault, then i find out later on that there is possible chance i was right. then be out on $1900 dollars -_-
**Oh, I knew it! You're looking for a way to use a "lense" that you payed $1900 for,and then return it--so, now you want to be every camera salesman's nightmare all over again. By all means, blame your tools ,tool.

like i said, if you're not going to be open minded and be CONSTRUCTIVE, please don't post in here again. and if you want to know what's constructive look at the other member's post. they mentioned info as did you, but they provide HELP[/QUOTE]
**Please give me a lesson in being constructive; I have one of the highest rates of "thank you" per time period and per number of posts of ANY poster on this board. Like I wrote earlier--try f/6.3 next time. Now that the images are on Flickr, their EXIF information is visible. Last night I guessed you'd shot that shot at around f/3.2 at a slow shutter speed,using flash. Today, it looks like I was correct,now that your flash-shooting, wide-open aperture "decision-making" is now apparent. If you think shooting couples at f/3.2 is smart, you might as well return the "lense" so somebody who deserves it will buy it. And, in the future, flip the scene mode dial to Program-the camera will make a better decision as to an appropriate aperture, based on its RGB evaluation of expanses that it decides are skin tones.

You need help with the basics. Try stopping your lens down to f/6.3 or so. Problem solved.

Last edited:
As others have already stated you shouldn't have been shooting at such a large aperture. You can clearly see in each photo there is an area of sharpness either in front of or behind the faces; sometimes on one face but not the other.

No... there is no defect on that lens.

As to a reply on whether or not it could be the equipment's fault:

Nikon D70 Focus Chart

Try that. There's directions. Sure, you may have been shooting at f/2.8, but depending on several conditions, like where you actually focused in the frame and how well lit the room really was, there could be a focusing issue. This may not necessarily be the lens's fault or the camera's, but just a combination of the two. Some configurations are prone to front focusing or back focusing, either of which can be frustrating, especially on a brand new lens. If you find that this is an issue, and there's not a way to adjust it in your camera, you should be able to send it off to Nikon for calibration under warranty.

The above link has a link to a pdf with the chart and directions on how to use it.

By all means, blame your tools ,tool.

I cannot believe that you think you can talk to people like this!

Even though Derrel sometimes gets things right he has a severe God complex on top of just being an asshole so it's best to ignore his posts. To bad you see them when he's quoted :grumpy:

Two of the people whom I seem to threaten most, Montana and ITZFB....two of the people who love to take shots at me whenever they can. Please, expand your list of equipment in your profiles so we can all see how much great equipment you own!

The OP's entire MO is familiar....buy product...think it's defective...return it the same day he bought it ostensibly for a tiny imperfection which he cannot identify...shoot with the brand new equipment...get BAD,amateurish results on a fee frames with brand new equipment...want to take it back because it's defective...worries that his $1,900 "lense" might be "hazy"...calls me an A$$...says I am being "anal"...refuses to accept that he shoots event photography yet does not understand the concepts of depth of field or aperture... the type of guy who buys brand new equipment and then shoots an event with it,and yet does not even know how to use his new, un-tested "lense"...the type of guy who blames a professional-level tools for bad results..."It's a poor workman who blames his tools."

Ever heard that one out there in Montana?

I was just saying there are nicer ways to put things. I for one am tired of reading your full page post full of useless drivel.

Gear lists are there for a reason, so people can PM you if they have certain questions about lenses/bodies etc and get first hand info from a user of said gear. Or they can read your long ass windbag posts of which are mainly quotes from others work on the internet. You are "ignored".

Good grief. Another post reported due to bickering and someone engaging in name-calling. :thumbdown:

Everyone take a deep breath or I'll have to close the thread. Those of you who don't like reading another member's posts need to go to your User CP and find your Ignore List. Add the offending member's name.

Now THAT = "problem solved".

Now THAT = "problem solved".

It's only a partial solution since you still see their text when someone quotes them. :thumbdown:

True dat yo. But if you ignore the problem, it may one day go away to another forum that you hopefully don't frequent.

I would suspect he got a gray market fake, this will cause his problem. There is a sure way to check; Look for the word "Lense" on it, if you cant find it or it is spelled "Lens" you obviously have the unbalanced gray market model.

Go get a gold paint marker and add the missing "e", that should get it back in balance, or you could just learn about apertures, this too could solve the problem.

As you wrote, you have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and you took a lens back to Samy's,and eventually, they agreed it was a defect,and they returned the lens for you.

"(thanks to my O.C.D.) in the glass, inspected it and noticed that there was something EXTREMELY EXTREMELY small (either dust, debris, or a scratch) on the inside of the glass. brought it back to them and they finally noticed it as well. They agreed it was a defect for sure and exchanged it for me. My point is as well as the quality control by nikon may be, mishaps do occur and it has already happened to me once regarding the purchase of this lense and now i'm hesitant as to if this "hazyness" is also another defect."

What happened is,in order to get you to go away, they gave you another lens. As you wrote, "they finally noticed it as well." Yeah, I have handled returned equipment before--and they finally noticed what you saw, but which you are not sure about--was it dust? or a scratch? or was it debris?. If you're such an experienced shooter, surely you could determine if it was dust,debris,or a scratch,right??? Thankfully, your OCD helped you spot this alleged defect. And maybe the out of focus shot you got is also a defect? Oh boy,here we go again--maybe your "lense" has a defect!

Looking at your OOF photograph, I can spot the newbie mistake you made; looking at multiple other photos shot with the SAME lens at the SAME event, I can see that your equipment works fine, but the operator is inexperienced. I used to sell camera gear; customers who buy pro gear but don't know how to use it,and who are concerned with minute bits of dust are every sales guy's nightmare customer.

You are obviously, a novice shooter,and quick to blame your equipment instead of your own inexperience. The lens worked quite splendidly in OTHER photos shot minutes apart. If you're so experienced, WTF are you doing on a forum trying to help diagnose a simple case of bad focusing? Sorry, but the something "hazy" here is your understanding of camera handling and lenswork. Your picture has some OOF areas. You messed up.

i know i'm inexperienced you don't have to constantly say that -_-. and instead immediately pointing to one solution how about trying to think of several possible reasons? there is never one single solution or cause of anything.

i know the guy that works there. he's not just some random sales that is helping me and trying to get rid of me -_-. it's just afterall he still works there and i can't just ask for an exchange for no reason, he has to see it too and it just took him awhile to see it (due to much dimmer lights in the store possibly? iono) like i said i stated i only mentioned that story to point out that factory defects are possible so don't rule out the possibility of that happening. if i knew a member was going to be so anal and caught up on that single point, i would not have mentioned it.

now if you're going to just bash and bash and drive the stake towards your one and single viewpoint, please stop wasting my time by posting in here. I stated the scratch in the lense to open idea that there is a possibility of a defect and not just me, THAT WAS THe SOLE PURPOSE OF STATING THAT BACKGROUND STORY.

i dont want to keep this lense because your narrow minded @$$ tells me it's my fault, then i find out later on that there is possible chance i was right. then be out on $1900 dollars -_-

like i said, if you're not going to be open minded and be CONSTRUCTIVE, please don't post in here again. and if you want to know what's constructive look at the other member's post. they mentioned info as did you, but they provide HELP

OK. I'll comply with your directive to be "constructive." Your lens is crap. Take it back but be prepared that the next one will also be crap as will the one after that. In fact, every lens that you ever buy will be crap.

Is that what you want?

As you wrote, you have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and you took a lens back to Samy's,and eventually, they agreed it was a defect,and they returned the lens for you.

"(thanks to my O.C.D.) in the glass, inspected it and noticed that there was something EXTREMELY EXTREMELY small (either dust, debris, or a scratch) on the inside of the glass. brought it back to them and they finally noticed it as well. They agreed it was a defect for sure and exchanged it for me. My point is as well as the quality control by nikon may be, mishaps do occur and it has already happened to me once regarding the purchase of this lense and now i'm hesitant as to if this "hazyness" is also another defect."

What happened is,in order to get you to go away, they gave you another lens. As you wrote, "they finally noticed it as well." Yeah, I have handled returned equipment before--and they finally noticed what you saw, but which you are not sure about--was it dust? or a scratch? or was it debris?. If you're such an experienced shooter, surely you could determine if it was dust,debris,or a scratch,right??? Thankfully, your OCD helped you spot this alleged defect. And maybe the out of focus shot you got is also a defect? Oh boy,here we go again--maybe your "lense" has a defect!

Looking at your OOF photograph, I can spot the newbie mistake you made; looking at multiple other photos shot with the SAME lens at the SAME event, I can see that your equipment works fine, but the operator is inexperienced. I used to sell camera gear; customers who buy pro gear but don't know how to use it,and who are concerned with minute bits of dust are every sales guy's nightmare customer.

You are obviously, a novice shooter,and quick to blame your equipment instead of your own inexperience. The lens worked quite splendidly in OTHER photos shot minutes apart. If you're so experienced, WTF are you doing on a forum trying to help diagnose a simple case of bad focusing? Sorry, but the something "hazy" here is your understanding of camera handling and lenswork. Your picture has some OOF areas. You messed up.

like i said, if you're not going to be open minded and be CONSTRUCTIVE, please don't post in here again. and if you want to know what's constructive look at the other member's post. they mentioned info as did you, but they provide HELP

OK. I'll comply with your directive to be "constructive." Your lens is crap. Take it back but be prepared that the next one will also be crap as will the one after that. In fact, every lens that you ever buy will be crap.

Is that what you want?

So what if by using too shallow of a DOF he finds out that it's having back focusing issues?

to make it clear, i had no intention to use it, find an excuse to say it's wrong and return it. i planned on keeping it hence i wanted to make sure that there was nothing wrong with it.

i know i'm inexperienced and thats why i compared it to my 1.8 50mm lense. i've taken almost similar scenarios with the 50mm on 1.8 and have yielded extremely sharp focusses and thats why i thought there was something iffy about this lense.

i know that i'm inexperienced, if i wasn't then i wouldn't be asking this right? However, this just goes to show how immature some members are despite there age/experience level if this is how they're going to respond.

now with that said, i want to say thank you all the members who provided a "possible" other cause. i never said it's not my own error, i just wanted to see if there is the slightest chance that its not. and i thank you for actually providing this for me :)

Most reactions

Back