Is there something wrong with my camera?

Ajlista

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, well im greatly confused with my camera. My friend who owns the canon rebel t2i was taking the same pictures as me the other night at a sweet sixteen. His shutter speed was on 1/100 where mine was on 1/20
For some reason my pictures were extremely underexposed and almost black, where his had perfect exposure
Does this cary in cameras or is there something wrong with mine ?
Im using the canon rebel xs

Both of us had iso on auto, and i dont remember my aperture

post the image, might be able to get exif off of it.

Even being on auto, metering modes, what was metered, possible exposure compensation would matter.

But in the end, I say it was jus user error.

I deleted them all, well because they were all dark haha
This happens pretty often, next time i shoot with him ill save the pictures and get what settings he was on, as of now, i dont know

Then there isn't enough information to even guess.

1/20 is 2 full stops less shutter speed than 1/100. By just shutter speed your photos should be a lot brighter than his.

Unless, your camera was set to a smaller aperture, a different metering mode, and a lower ISO, than his.

The metering mode would effect the Auto ISO.

Cameras are not smart, but they can do some things reasonably well by rote. People are tons smarter. Like gsgary said, until you take control of the camera instead of letting the camera control itself, stuff will continue to happen.

Consider, you can't determine if your camera is broken, or if it is in fact working perfectly, and can't describe the issue sufficiently well enough for anyone else to say either.

I have made it my mission this year to repeatedly mention that photography has technical aspects that have to be learned and understood before someone can do photography effectively.

Most reactions

Back