Is there such a thing as a cheap backdrop?

v3nom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As my learning curve progresses i'm finding myself in situations where i could really use a small black backdrop, perhaps 1x1m. Im on a very tight budget and can't afford the high street prices just yet. Is there an alternative, a homemade solution? It is just cloth right?

I think you can use a sheet, but that might be to big..... I think plain fabric works, but I'm no expert:p

I think you can use a sheet, but that might be to big..... I think plain fabric works, but I'm no expert:p

I had a black pillow case that i tried but it gave some horrible results. I guess the type of material may be a factor. From what i gather 'hessian' is the cloth used in backdrops. i dont have any of that in my drawers thats for sure. :lol:

I shot my avatar by hanging a black blanket from a door. Pretty low budget. :D

Is air cheap enough? :lol:

If you light it right, you wouldn't even need a backdrop if you just want black. (Or white, I guess. It would just take more lights.)

Check out the fabric store and see what they have...

Sheets or linen... not too reflective... Poster board/paper.... Painted plywood scraps... Shower curtains...

There are many options of DIY backgrounds...

I use a black fabric that I got in the bargain bin at the local fabric store...

Thanks guys, think i'll go searching in the local material shop for some bargain fabric. ;)

I still don't get why high street specific backdrops are so expensive, are they super, super black with no reflectivity at all?

From what i gather 'hessian' is the cloth used in backdrops. :lol:
Muslin or canvas is the preferred, but really anything can be used if on a budget. I would suggest a medium grey. You have much more options at hand. You can turn it white, black, keep it grey or with gels turn it any color under the rainbow.

I can't post a link because I'm under 5 posts (and I'm trying to get to 5 to post a link in the beginner forum.. lol), but if you type this exact title, "Prism Backdrops 6X10' Black Muslin Photo Video Backdrop Background" at Amazon (dot) com you'll see one in there that's priced at just under 20 bucks.

If you want something for black/dark backgrounds. Look for black velvet (synthetic velvet is much cheaper)...or maybe felt, as someone mentioned.

But also as mentioned, you can create a black background in a photo by putting more light on the subject than on the background.

seemless paper is pretty cheap :S

In my first portrait experiments, I obtained a black background having the subject in a room, close to the passage to the corridor. Good light in the room, dark (but not completely, was afternoon) in the corridor. No wrinkles :) .

In my first portrait experiments, I obtained a black background having the subject in a room, close to the passage to the corridor. Good light in the room, dark (but not completely, was afternoon) in the corridor. No wrinkles :) .
I've done that plenty of times. :lol:

Now that I think of it, I don't think I have ever used a backdrop to get a black background - I've always done it with the lighting.

Most reactions

Back