Is there such a thing as large format roll film? 4x5 or 8x10 or other standard sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update!

So i finally got some 4x5 in the mail to experiment with. Results so far from strips cut from a test sheet:

Wrapping the film around a 1/8" tube --> film kinks into distinct angled kinks

Wrapping the film around a 1/4" tube (bic pen) --> when unrolled, it curls so much that when placed on a flat surface, it curls around and back over (>180 degrees). Obvious film damage can be seen with the naked eye.

Wrapping the film around a 3/4" tube (highlighter) --> when unrolled, on a flat surface, both edges rise up about 10mm from the table surface. Not good for taking a flat photo even if held in place on both edges I'm guessing, probably damaging the film a little.

Wrapping the film around a 1 1/4" tube (dowel rod I have lying around - this was my planned roller diameter) --> when unrolled, on a flat surface, both edges rise up about 2.5mm from the table surface. Looks quite possible to flatten without much difficulty. Certainly if using an air pressure system, and probably with edge guides. I doubt the film is significantly damaged, but before making a camera, I will take some shots with pre-rolled film in a simple pinhole setup and develop them to look for stress lines or anything like that (will post here about it).

Wrapping around a 1 5/8" PVC tube --> 1.5mm of rise on each side when unrolled.

Original rolls were for a minute or two. After an hour of being taped in place again, the 1 1/4" roll now rises 5mm when unrolled. And the 1 5/8" tube now rises to about 2.5mm.

I still have them back on the rolls now, and will check again tomorrow.

Connection:
Heat fusing was not so successful. However, I was simply using a homemade heated piece of angle metal heated in a stove, not anything like what I would actually use. Just wanted to see if it was trivially doable. It is not. Temperature needs to be much more exact (either nothing happens or it starts working but then bursts into flames for a fraction of a second then vaporizes over a range of about 50 degrees), so I need to ideally find a friend who has one of those bag sealers with even, controllable heat along the whole length, because I don't want to drop $100 on one just to find out it doesn't work. Might work just fine with the correct tool. If so, I think I could get actually MORE usable film space than with a traditional holder, since it only needs to be fused on two ends, not the long ends. (4x4.75 or so instead of 3.75x4.75 or whatever)

Unexpectedly, stapling actually works pretty well, lol!! As long as the staple runs perpendicular to the direction of rolling (which I could do in a jig using this Cool Tools ? Mini Booklet Stapler ). It only distorts about 1/4" of film around the staple in either direction, so 4"x4" of the film would be unaffected, possibly 4.25" x 4" if I can get precision lining up (this represents 15% of film surface lost, versus about 8% lost in a traditional film holder). The piece of polyester it is attached to seems to effectively stop any scratching of other sheets of film top or bottom, at least to the naked eye. I will also test this with a couple test sheets in a pinhole box before building anything serious of course. There may be microscopic scratching, or it may locally increase the radius of curvature of the sheet above it too much. One problem here is that i can't make it so that exactly 1 or 1.5 turns or whatever always = one shot. I have to make it an odd amount, like 1.37 turns, so that staples dont all line up on top of one another and make the roll wonky shaped. But that's not so bad if the top of the roller is marked off with hash marks and there's an indicator on the top of the camera so you can do 1.37 turns without thinking.

Also considering thread, if I can come up with a way of doing it in a jig in the dark easily.

Blerh... really hoping the heat method works with the right tool, though, cause these other ideas are pretty hackish. Might come up with something elegant though. Back to drawing board.

Last edited:
Honestly, for joining sheets of film, tape is probably best. It's proven, it works, the only question is can you do it in the dark?

Wow I'm an idiot, why did i not think of tape? yes, I can easily do that in the dark. Well constrained roll + wooden jig + reference point to pull to each time before pressing down the last 1/4" or so should be pretty consistent. + a guide in the same spot for running an X-acto blade to remove the ends flush.

Do you have any particular types of tape in mind? I'm thinking packing tape for a good ratio of strength:thickness Would need to probably order a special narrow roll from some weird place online though. Never seen anything under about 2 inches in stores.

Hey Gaf - not to discourage you in this abserdity or anything, but I thought you might be interested in these:

shopgoodwill.com -- Search Results

They're going for peanuts and the price hasn't budged in the last couple days

Do you have any particular types of tape in mind?

I do. (I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.)

This is the tape I use for securing bulk loaded 35mm film to the spool, among other things. Super strong, and very thin/flexible, and it sticks to film very well.

It might be expensive... I can "acquire" it from work...

It's made by the Orcon Corporation - "Orcotape OT-6". Orcon part number: 12206020.

It's paper backed (peel the paper off to get to the sticky side - that will probably make cutting it down to the right size easier - could be done ahead of time in the light).

Apparently OT-6 is obsolete for new design - the replacement is OT-16A - http://www.orcon-aerospace.com/datasheets/OT16A_092311_US.pdf

edit
If you don't mind waiting a week or so, I can mail you a roll so you can see if it's something that might work. No idea what it actually costs, but with all the certifications and crap from the FAA, it's probably expensive.

A new roll is 60 yards, so even a partial roll would probably last you a while...

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up Unpopular. I bought one normal holder to make testing stuff easier in a pinhole box already, but a grafmatic may be too good to pass up regardless of my plans.

O||||O, will PM with further tape questions!

I believe the K-20 aerial camera used 5 1/4" roll film ... I do not think that there is any present day camera that does.
... I think that Kodak did make some 5" roll film for duplication equipment.
20231226_235935.jpg

Locking the Zombie. Please pay attention to dates, especially the new members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back