is this a good flash?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a Sony a300 and love it. The flash is kinda crappy though. I've never done a lot of flash photography and am realizing that with a flash or strobe, i can greatly improve my work and move on to doing more people subjects. In the future, i'm going to be shooting a lot of semi nude/nude. So is this a good flash?
http://cgi.ebay.com/TTL-AF-DIGITAL-...A300-A200_W0QQitemZ120325478165QQcmdZViewItem

i like this set too, thouhgts?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/390686-REG/Impact_EX100A_KI_One_Monolight_Kit_.html

I want to be able to have some directional light, so i thought about geting a flash and a stretchy sync-cord that I can just hold the flash off to the side to create some nice directional light. But it looks like this one can kinda do that job for me with the tilt/swival.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't attest to the quality of that flash, but it looks like it will work with your camera.

Getting the flash off of the camera is one of the best things you can do to improve your lighting, especially if you are going to be shooting artistic nude/figure photos. You can use a 'hot-shoe' flash off camera, either with a cord or with a wireless system or you could go with a monolight 'studio' type light. The biggest difference is the power supply. A studio light usually runs on AC power, while a hot-shoe flash usually runs on AA batteries. There are pros and cons to each, so you should decide what is more important to you and your style of shooting.

I had an idea to use both, just now. Using the flash as key light, maybe holding it off to the side and using the strobe as fill/soft light. It just sounds like a cheap/effective solution.

I spoke to a rep at B&H, and they said it would turn out like crap?? I didn't understand why, since fundamentally it's the same, other than my limited 3' armlength

if you decide on the hotshoe flash, i would suggest getting a stand and an umbrella/flash bracket for the stand, a reflecting umbrella, a few sets of rechargable batteries, and some nice long sync cords to start out, this way you can have a highly portable and versatile set up. on the other hand if you will be working in a studio or at locations where you dont need super portability and ac power is always available, then go with the studio light. hope this helps you out.

if you decide on the hotshoe flash, i would suggest getting a stand and an umbrella/flash bracket for the stand, a reflecting umbrella, a few sets of rechargable batteries, and some nice long sync cords to start out, this way you can have a highly portable and versatile set up. on the other hand if you will be working in a studio or at locations where you dont need super portability and ac power is always available, then go with the studio light. hope this helps you out.

they make these for hot-shoe flashes? please show me, bud! :confused:

they make these for hot-shoe flashes? please show me, bud!
This link should show you just about everything you'll need to know, to get started...
Strobist

they make these for hot-shoe flashes? please show me, bud! :confused:

0065_390.jpg

www.flashzebra.com has a TON of cool stuff, and the owner is a really nice guy.

I picked up my umbrellas and stands from our forum sponsor Adorama.com for fair prices. The rest came from flashzebra.

is that b/c of lack of features, or does a flash have to be over $200 to constitute as "quality"

If you were to pick up and examine say a $90 Sunpack 383 and a 6-10 year old Nikon SB-28 or SB-80DX for the same price you will be amazed in the vast difference in build quality and features. The Sunpack is very light and flimsy. It lacks a zoom head and standard PC connection. But, the Sunpack I believe a better value than the ebay flash mentioned here. It's just basic eco-101. You get what you pay for. A new SB-800 my be $350, but will out perform and out last cheaper flashes by a very large margin. Used high end flashes are a bargain for the Strobist shooter, and the SB-28 is one of the Strobist mainstays. A lot of value for the dollar even after the wear and tear of it's original owner.

Most reactions

Back