TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
$Love.jpg

Any good?

It is a nice portrait, the focus on the eyes is a little soft and they are missing the catch light that transform an average portrait into a good one.
But I think your lighting is good, the pose and smile are very nice and that blue makes the complexion stand out.
Well done!

How was this lit? Was it outdoors on an overcast day? In general, you want to get light into someone's eyes in a portrait. Here they are completely in shadow and look a bit like black holes. If this was outdoors, having your subject face open sky or using a reflector can really help.

How was this lit? Was it outdoors on an overcast day? In general, you want to get light into someone's eyes in a portrait. Here they are completely in shadow and look a bit like black holes. If this was outdoors, having your subject face open sky or using a reflector can really help.

This.

Coon eyes.. and a bit soft. A reflector or fill flash would have fixed the shadows...

shutter speed was plenty fast to prevent blur.... I would have lowered ISO to 100, and let shutter speed go down a bit. Try spot focus (single point) and focus on the eyes. I am wondering if some of the softness isn't bad compression... or bad post.

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ion-q/49782d1373592078-good-portrait-love.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 1,885.4 KB
Creation date: 7/10/2013 14:21
Last modification: 7/12/2013 07:01
Make: NIKON CORPORATION (Nikon | Home)
Camera: NIKON D3000
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
Dimension: 1582 x 2221 px (3.5 MP)
Focal length: 55 mm (equiv. 82 mm)
Aperture: F5.6
Exposure time: 1/1250"
ISO speed rating: 400/27°
Program: Aperture priority
Metering Mode: Center-weighted average
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash did not fire

Agreeing with the others.. no light in the eyes is the biggest issue I see here.

Any good?

That's quite an open-ended question. ANY good? Yes. Very good? No.

You've framed it well, but the model is squinting while there is heavy shadow in her eye sockets.

Also, you apparently failed to notice the lock of hair falling askew on her shoulder.

It's not professional. The lighting is uneven and uninteresting, the eyes are dark, and the pose is flat. This could've been easily improved with flash.

It is a nice portrait, the focus on the eyes is a little soft and they are missing the catch light that transform an average portrait into a good one.
But I think your lighting is good, the pose and smile are very nice and that blue makes the complexion stand out.
Well done!

They are missing catch lights cause they are shadowed. That jumped out at me instantly. This will make a photo lose the magic that is in the eyes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back