Is this background blur fake or real?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was looking at some car pictures and came across this one which I thought looked interesting because how blurred out the background is.

Joe's Bunny

It was taken with a D800 + 28 1.8G which I owned the 28 for a short time and I never recalled it blowing out the back THAT much when focusing on something that large.

I mean, doesn't it look fake? It's really hard to tell.

Last edited:
I say it's fake. The reflections of the trailers are in focus.

I say it's fake. The reflections of the trailers are in focus.

It actually kind of bugs me a little. I hate fake background blur! Its deceiving! Haha.

I looked at the shot earlier, but now it's been pulled...I thought the BG blur was done in software, but hey, who knows now, right! I dunno...there ARE some people who are very good at creating pretty realistic BG blur in software. Kirk Tuck is now shooting payed client work using a small-sensor digicam at times, and he mentioned he's learned how to do this type of blurring in software to a good standard of quality, so it's NOT just the cheezy old-fashioned type of blurring that we saw 10 years ago.

I looked at the shot earlier, but now it's been pulled...I thought the BG blur was done in software, but hey, who knows now, right! I dunno...there ARE some people who are very good at creating pretty realistic BG blur in software. Kirk Tuck is now shooting payed client work using a small-sensor digicam at times, and he mentioned he's learned how to do this type of blurring in software to a good standard of quality, so it's NOT just the cheezy old-fashioned type of blurring that we saw 10 years ago.

Yeah my bad. It was just an embed link. Here it is > Joe's Bunny

if it looks fake, it's probably fake.

this one has been faked.

(there was also major editing of the reflections if you were wondering about that too)

Last edited:
Cheesy regardless. And here I thought at first, somebody named their car Bunny?? lol And why would someone set up a shot like this behind an industrial loading dock??

I think Sparky's on the right track... It's not exactly the greatest picture anyway.

Cheesy regardless. And here I thought at first, somebody named their car Bunny?? lol And why would someone set up a shot like this behind an industrial loading dock??

I think Sparky's on the right track... It's not exactly the greatest picture anyway.

I was just looking at the "technical" aspects of the photo, just thought it looked weird.

Kind of ruins the quality of the 28 1.8G lens.

someone on this forum, used to post car pics with his wide angle (cant remember, maybe the 24mm) 1.4G. Those backgrounds looked great -- no software necessary.

Last edited:
someone on this forum, used to post car pics with his 35mm 1.4. Those backgrounds looked great -- no software necessary.

I like using my 50 1.8, it blows out the background fairly decent. Not sure it would be worth investing in a 35 1.4 haha, those bad boys are expensive.

I bet your 58 1.4 would be killer for car shows!!

I wish the hood was closed...but taken with my 50mm at f/2.5

Erwin-170604-10637.jpg

oh, it's a mush machine.

no, i quite like it. im saying it makes backgrounds turn to mush.

I'd love to just own a 24, 58, and 105mm 1.4G. I think I could make due with that.

the 58mm is the softest lens I own, but the way it renders is something special... sometimes when i put my 70-200 back on and shoot, it's almost TOO sharp and perfect -- it's hard to explain, but the 58mm has a more "art" feel to it's rendering, where the Tamron is "true" and would be better suited to studio work and not artsy fartsy stuff.

Ahh gotcha.

I'd probably skip the Nikon 58 1.4 because it's too pricy for me.

But that Voigtlander 58 1.4...only $400!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back