Is this considered "FILM PHOTOGRAPHY"?

I took this on Saturday night. I was experimenting with pushing Portra 400 to 3200 because i've seen some examples on a flickr group that worked pretty well. I had my Nikon FE's meter set to auto (which is aperture priority) and hoped for the best because it's hard to see the meter in that camera in low light. I consider this roll a fail, but some of my friends like the results. It might've been a bit better if i'd pushed it a couple more minutes.. dunno.. i'm not that experienced with push developing c41.

In retrospect, I wish I would've unloaded my M6 and used it instead because it seems to do better in low light situations, but oh well, like I said, it was an experiment, I was prepared for bad results.

$06bleh.jpg

Just dial in -1.5 on your exposure compensation and you're golden. As long as you're using a camera with automatic metering. It really is just that easy when you're on film.

It is possible to take pictures like this with digital as well?

I took this on Saturday night. I was experimenting with pushing Portra 400 to 3200 because i've seen some examples on a flickr group that worked pretty well. I had my Nikon FE's meter set to auto (which is aperture priority) and hoped for the best because it's hard to see the meter in that camera in low light. I consider this roll a fail, but some of my friends like the results. It might've been a bit better if i'd pushed it a couple more minutes.. dunno.. i'm not that experienced with push developing c41.

In retrospect, I wish I would've unloaded my M6 and used it instead because it seems to do better in low light situations, but oh well, like I said, it was an experiment, I was prepared for bad results.

View attachment 7967

That's funny, i've pushed Portra 400 to 1600 and it looked OK for the most part, MUCH better than that for sure. How did you have that scanned?

Just dial in -1.5 on your exposure compensation and you're golden. As long as you're using a camera with automatic metering. It really is just that easy when you're on film.

Nope.

Digital will go darker, film just loses density. Film has shoulder and latitude, digital doesn't. Digital is on or off, film is inbetween.

Here's a couple of examples of Ektar 100 shot at 200 and processed normally.

Medium format:
7156299898_fce0999fa3_b.jpg

35mm:
7156299794_9e63bdb706_b.jpg

Ektar is unlike most CN films though, generally when it's underexposed, it gets more extreme contrast. Whites blow and blacks clip when they normally wouldn't.

That's funny, i've pushed Portra 400 to 1600 and it looked OK for the most part, MUCH better than that for sure. How did you have that scanned?

Just scanned it with my V700.. I think the whole roll was underexposed, or not pushed enough (or is that the same thing?).. dunno really.

Here's a pic of my bike in better lighting.. it's not too bad. Remember, this is at 3200

$19.jpg

I took this moments ago. Yes... I still keep film in my refrigerator.

I like to let mine sit out and expire. Thats when it starts to get fun. I can take perfect pics with my digi so I like to get funky with film.

And yes you could take extermely noisy shots using a film camera.

Yeah, just use a crappy digital. My a200 will take shots like this when set to about 1600 iso. You can also play with it in post and bring out more of the grain if needed.

20hz by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

View attachment 7967

ask this guy - Flickr: David Adam Salinas' Photostream

any body can take terrible images, has nothing to do with the camera, film or digital it can be done. Just look at the internet , makes me want to cry.

the first one is taken through a dirty car windscreen. The second one for me has digital noise more than analog noise - look at those yellow dots around the dark areas.
If you own a digital camera, get slightly drunk, shoot around in manual mode changing aperture at random, then, after recovery, select those images that appear as black, and artificially increase exposure with the postprocessing software of your choice ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back