Is this 'interesting' enough?

ottor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Always thought that no matter the colors, position, crop, size or post processing .... a good photograph needs to be of something of interest.. Perhaps I'm just a little jaded, in that I've probably shot this bridge from almost every angle I could - and - I see it every day.

To others ........... is there enough in this photograph to be of interest to others ??

tks,

r

6946220626_5688f0b375_c.jpg

It has good interest and I am glad you did not stick the bridge itself right in the middle of the frame, am all-too-common but still amateurish mistake. Placing the bridge off center with the rest of the image does provide a good balance. However the road does go pretty much right through the center fo the frame. When doing scenic photography, the "rule of thirds" can make or break an image. Of course that can be true in pretty much any genre of photography) Although no rule is set in stone of course, try to avoid having the "horizon" (the road in this case) go through the middle of the frame. You do have some interesting clouds and some reflections in the water. Personally I would get rid of some sky and accentuate the texture in the water.

$bridge.jpg

Last edited:
It's not bad, but to me the focal point of the photo is the trees. This can be a good exercise in composition as the above posters have mentioned. I think coming back to this spot at another time would help make this more interesting. The colours are all faded and kind of boring to look at. Mostly browns and subdued greens and reds. If I had to work with this photo, I'd try it as a higher contrast sepia, b&w or split tone.

I found it very boring, but I'm super critical of this kind of photography to begin with so I may be a bad judge.

BTW, it's also slightly tilted.

I agree with Manaheim, it does appear to be a bit tilted. As far as composition, I think this shot might have worked better to have the bridge more centered in the frame. I say this only because I keep looking at the large dark cliff to the right rather than the bridge. That large chunk of cliff, to me makes the photos too heavy on the right side. Just my opinion.

I think the "tilt" of the image is a bit of an illusion. I copied the image into PS, used the ruler tool and ran it along the top of the bridge. The top of the bridge is a hair less than 0.3 degrees off the horizontal which isn't much.

I found it very boring, but I'm super critical of this kind of photography to begin with so I may be a bad judge.

I don't find anything specific to look at.
The waterline, the trees and the bridge all compete but nothing wins.

I think the "tilt" of the image is a bit of an illusion. I copied the image into PS, used the ruler tool and ran it along the top of the bridge. The top of the bridge is a hair less than 0.3 degrees off the horizontal which isn't much.
The bridge could be built with a bit of a tilt to it, or there could be a perspective playing into it. That's often the case with such architectural features in a photo.

A better test/confirmation, when available, uses the reflections on the water because they cannot lie - ever. Choose something near the horizontal center of the image, and it's reflection should be exactly below it. Using that method, I came up with 0.46 degrees off.

Just another tool in the toolbag that can be used.

You know I wondered when I said that... it might be that the waterline pulls away from the camera. (it was the water that made me think it was tilted)

I don't find anything specific to look at.
The waterline, the trees and the bridge all compete but nothing wins.

Oh ok, well it wasn't just me then.

This must be a wonderful place to shoot... Sir, you say you have a collection of images from this place, which is nearby... then i definitely do wonder why you chose this to share... the problem is that the image has trees, reflections, bridge, sky, clouds, mountains... but none acts as a locking point....

Can you show some other images from this place ?

Regards :D

Most reactions

Back