Is this legal?

This would be illegal if you didnt declare the income come tax season. However, if you do the work and declare the income and pay the taxes on it - you are completly within your rights to do so as far as I'm told.

Nice to know we have a bunch of tax lawyers in here.

Who needs a lawyer for a question about this? Any accountant can tell you the same. There are plenty of times people are paid for services rendered that declare the income at tax time. The IRS doesn’t go after them because they don’t have a business license? They couldn’t care less if you have a business license as long as you’re declaring the income.

I have heard time and time again of people being sued and imprisoned for tax evasion because they didn’t declare extra income.

When was the last time you have ever heard of the IRS going after someone for not having a business license? I challenge ANYONE on this forum to prove me wrong and provide a case where the IRS went after someone for not having a business license. It’s up to the municipality to determine if a business license is required. NOT the federal government.

Alright I lied, guys. I'm still doing it, she finally got ahold of me and she claims she just wants some 'point and shoot' photos of the people. I'm obviously WAY over qualified and they're expectations are way lower than I expected. Oh well, I'll still take this seriously, I guess.

This is a winning thread
bigthumb.gif

2WheelPhoto said:
Its not worth the IRS's time to call and threaten you over $50

Correction it's probably more like $12.50 assuming a 25% tax rate. :)

I've gotten a fifty dollar check before from work and they only took like three dollars from it. Less pay, lower tax bracket. And I am filing this in my taxes when it comes time to do them.

For $50, the IRS doesn't give a rat's ass. Think every 20 year old out mowing lawns has a business license and insurance?

i do some work for nhpr.org occasionally for a $50 flat rate. most times i don't even submit an invoice because i also don't send them any money at pledge time but listen the NHPR almost exclusively on my commute and saturday mornings (i'm a Car Talk, Wait, Wait.., Only A Game, Prairie Home Companion junkie)

the rate per hr tuesday nite (considering i was there from 7pm-2am) came out to $7.14 per hr :lmao: that's below min wage in the state ;)

i don't much care about the rate for doing work for public radio (their budgets are very tight) and don't see it as cutting into pro's income by covering political events. the pros i know are either A) already covering events for their respective media outlets B) wouldn't touch this type of assignment even if the money were in line with going rates. i have fun with it, learn a little more each time out and add to my portfolio as NHPR does not retain exclusive rights to my photos

Most reactions

New Topics

Back