Is this Mold

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I noticed this today on the the back of the lens, attachment end. is there a way to stop this.

C68A4042-F215-4940-9F0E-4AA395CEA823.jpeg AFAD1B5B-5592-417E-B40F-BB2120D260ED.jpeg

It looks like it could be.

I'm assuming this is on the inside of the glass.
The only real way to stop it is to remove that element and clean it. While open ensure you're in a dry clean environment and inspect the element behind this one as well.

It looks like it could be.
I'm assuming this is on the inside of the glass.
The only real way to stop it is to remove that element and clean it. While open ensure you're in a dry clean environment and inspect the element behind this one as well.

If this was an older lens i try it myself but it’s a 24:70. 2.8 I’m fairly certain I could take it out but putting it back is another thing. I was quoted €129 by a tech shop around $153. What would the important things to ask of this place ?

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what to ask since I haven't had to deal with this problem. I know there are a few members that have dealt with this in the past (can't for the life of me think of who), you could search mold in here and see if you can find the threads and ask if they have any suggestions.

What would the important things to ask of this place ?
Assuming they are honest with their answers, I would ask if the tech has done this type of repair, and if the shop carries an insurance policy that will cover the cost of replacement should something go wrong.

Another thing you might do is to take a shot of a pattern or something similar so when you get it back you can take another shot to see if there is any difference between the two shots.

If you currently don't see anything wrong with the images, you might consider just living with it as is. Expose the fungus to direct UV light for a few days to stop the growth.

What would the important things to ask of this place ?
Assuming they are honest with their answers, I would ask if the tech has done this type of repair, and if the shop carries an insurance policy that will cover the cost of replacement should something go wrong.

Another thing you might do is to take a shot of a pattern or something similar so when you get it back you can take another shot to see if there is any difference between the two shots.

If you currently don't see anything wrong with the images, you might consider just living with it as is. Expose the fungus to direct UV light for a few days to stop the growth.

How does one know when the thing is dead/dormant.

Most reactions

Back