Is this still worth anything?

xj0hnx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So at the pawn shop down the street I found a Nikon 70-300 VR ED, this lens ..

Amazon.com: Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

But, it is missing the first lens, the one closest to the camera that is part of the assembly that covers the guts.

Can I use the part from another lens? How would this effect the lens?

What would you pay for this? They were asking $375, but once I showed them that, and compared it to another lens that isn't missing that part, the manager said he's show it to the regional tomorrow morning and for me to call.

Sorry, it's a terrible picture, snapped at pawn shop with phone.

Attachments

• $IMG_0015.JPG
    $IMG_0015.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 152
It's missing the rear element ? I wouldn't even bother.

Hmmm ...looking at this picture ...

$305287704928.jpg

Maybe it doesn't have that part? So it's a complete lens? I wouldn't have thought that they would leave all the electronics and motors exposed like that. Is this picture fubar? Does anyone have one they can look at and see if you can see all the internal parts?

Last edited:
Missing rear element and missing electronics cover - eh I bet you something inside is broken or missing as well. Unless you've a ready supply of parts and the understanding to fix whatever might be wrong I wouldn't bother. The only thing you'll likely get for this is its cost in trade parts (which I'm guessing won't be very much at all - I could be wrong, but I doubt its rare enough to be highly valuable in parts)

Missing rear element and missing electronics cover - eh I bet you something inside is broken or missing as well. Unless you've a ready supply of parts and the understanding to fix whatever might be wrong I wouldn't bother. The only thing you'll likely get for this is its cost in trade parts (which I'm guessing won't be very much at all - I could be wrong, but I doubt its rare enough to be highly valuable in parts)

Well, I can try it out in the shop, and if it works, and I can get it for next to nothing, then I could be getting a pretty expensive (to me) lens for cheap, and just be real careful with it :)

If it works great indeed!
Make sure you check everything - focusing both manual and auto through the whole range; the zoom; the Vr on and off etc.. Check sharpness and focusing at the extremes and in the middle of the zoom range - plus check near and far focusing. Check that the aperture blades work (take a few shots at varying apertures - or set the aperture to the minimum (biggest f number) and then press the depth of field preview button and look down the lens to make sure the blades are shutting).

I went back and tried it out, seems to have an issue with auto focus, it works, but didn't seem to actually focus. It would hunt, and then beep, but the shot was slightly OOF. I think I could hear the VR, so it's working. I didn't get a chance to really test at every level, but ti seems to function, and can be manually focused fine, heck it may been be a setting on my camera that was keeping it from AF'ing perfectly.

I would really like if someone that has this same lens could chime in as to whether or not it is actually missing the rear element, or if it's manufactured this way.

xj0hnx said:
I went back and tried it out, seems to have an issue with auto focus, it works, but didn't seem to actually focus. It would hunt, and then beep, but the shot was slightly OOF. I think I could hear the VR, so it's working. I didn't get a chance to really test at every level, but ti seems to function, and can be manually focused fine, heck it may been be a setting on my camera that was keeping it from AF'ing perfectly.

I would really like if someone that has this same lens could chime in as to whether or not it is actually missing the rear element, or if it's manufactured this way.

I wouldn't worry about getting it. If its off, you would have to get it serviced.

So after some more research, and looking, it appears it is not missing anything, well, it's missing the front and rear covers, and hood, but the rear element is there, it's just a different design I guess. Anyway, I got the lens, and am cleaning it up now. $300 + tax :) not too bad.

Most reactions

Back