is this substitute for SB900/800 speedlight ?

minister

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I have shortlisted one flash for my d5000
as told by many junkies to use off the camera flash on D5000 I have to use SB900/800 flash as a command mode
so can I use this flash for command mode and use any second cheap flash also. ?

let me put it simple can I use NissinNDi622 MarkII instead of SB800/900?

Nissin Digital Flash: Di622 MARK II Nomenclature & Specification
Specifications
Usable camera : CANON digital camera, NIKON digital camera
Guide Number : 44m, 145ft. (ISO 100), 62m, 205ft. (ISO 200)
Illumination coverage : 24-105mm (16mm wide angle diffuser)
Turning head : 90 degree upward, 90 degree to left, 180 degree to right
Power source : 4 X AA or equivalent Mi-MH, lithium
Number of flashes : 200-1500 flashes by fresh alkaline batteries
Energy saving system : 2 minutes to stand-by mode, 30 minutes to shut down after the power on or the last use of flash unit
Recycling time : 5 sec., with fresh alkaline batteries.
Flash exposure control :
E-TTL and E-TTL II for Canon cameras
i-TTL for Nikon cameras
Manual(Variable power) :
6 levels : Full - 1/2 - 1/4 - 1/8 - 1/16 - 1/32 powers
Wireless mode :
SD: Slave Digital (with 6 level)
SF: Slave Film (with 6 level)
Wireless TTL remote Channel 1 Group A (Controlled by master flash)
Flash Power Lock:
FE lock (for Canon) / FV lock (for Nikon)
My TTL Setting
AF Assist light : Infrared LED for distance of 0.7 to 6 meter.
Color temperature : 5,600K (same as daylight)
Flash duration : 1/800sec. to 1/20,000sec.
Camera contact : Hotshoe , X-contact, External Synchro socket
Accessories included : Shoe stand, pouch
Dimensions : 77(W) x 130(D) x103(H) mm / 30(W) x 51(D) x 40(H) inches
Weight : 315g (without battery) / 11oz

Not sure, but you could get some radio triggers and use what ever flash combo you would like to...

Check your manual, but I don't think your D5000 has the Commander Mode anyway, which is an infrared (IR) triggering method. It is much less reliable, particulary outdoors, than a radio frequency (RF) method.

Not sure about a D5000, but I have a D90 and use commander mode quite a bit so here goes.

The short answer is no, you cannot. Commander mode allows for Nikon users to have wireless command of Nikon flashes, and to use TTL off-camera wireless-ly. The D90 has commander mode built into the camera and allows for two different/independent groups of remote flashes. These remote flashes have to be Nikon and Commander Mode compatible (SB-600, SB-700, SB-900).

FYI, if you are using a master unit such as the SB-900 or that SU-800 to set up commander mode (i.e. if your camera doesn't have it built in), I think that the master has to be on-camera. Since the whole point is to take the flash off-camera, there is no reason to spring for the SB-900. The SU-800 along with a SB-600 will do the trick.

Now, I know that the SB-900 will allow for 3 groups of flashes (great if you want independent control of a background light or accent light). I am not sure about the SU-800. I believe that the SB-700 only does two groups of flashes.

I tend to use commander mode in Manual anyway, meaning that I set up the desired flash power (but I do it through the D90s menu). If my camera didn't have commander mode built-in, I'd think very seriously about doing things differenty due to the cost of nikon flash units. Even with commander mode, I'd love to pick up a Pocket Wizard system!

For some reason, info on commander mode is hard to come by and the manuals suck, so if you have any other questions, I'll try to help as best as I can.

let me put it simple can I use NissinNDi622 MarkII instead of SB800/900?
I don't believe that Nissin supports CLS, therefore, you cannot substitute Nissin for SB800 of 900. HOWEVER, as was mentioned above, you could look into ebay radio triggers, place the transmitter onto the camera's hot shoe and have a blast.

Good Luck

Not sure, but you could get some radio triggers and use what ever flash combo you would like to...
so it mean i can use any sort of flash with TTL capability ,
and to use that flash off the camera and use TTL I use radio trigger ,?
am I write ?

am I write ?

No, not unless you buy the new pocket wizzards, you don't need ttl for off camera shoot in manual and just meter the abient and flash for the effect you want

am I write ?

No, not unless you buy the new pocket wizzards, you don't need ttl for off camera shoot in manual and just meter the abient and flash for the effect you want

but I thought trigger and wiazzard will do the same thing ,
sorry It is my first time.
so D5000+(ivitar 285/nissin i622)+trigger+pocket wizzard=off camera flash setup

(for a start off course , than I can add more flashes to my setup ?)

thanks for u r precise time

am I write ?

gsgary is correct about the TTL, but you can mix match any brand of flash when used with radios in manual.

Manual is where it is at anyway! Set your shot up, pop a few and change your settings to get the look you are after.

Last edited:
am I write ?

gsgarry is correct.

Manual is where it is at anyway! Set your shot up, pop a few and change your settings to get the look you are after.

Or you can meter it and take 1 shot :sexywink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back