ISO and shutter speed

Explain to me how any kind of signal amplification applies to film...

I don't explain what I didn't claim.
I guess I'm just dense or something...

I don't know all the technical stuff behind it, but isn't that the end result?

I've understood that using a higher ISO to simply mean the data from the sensor gets processed more, the end result being not only a proper exposure but noise to go along with it as a result of that processing. If raising the ISO makes the sensor more sensitive to light, then why would that process result in more noise?
"Data from the sensor getting processed more" sounds suspiciously like signal amplification...

"Data from the sensor getting processed more" sounds suspiciously like signal amplification...

You are the one that mentioned film. Not me. So don't ask me to verify your statements.

You are the one that mentioned film. Not me. So don't ask me to verify your statements.
I merely stated that film has ISO too, and that your 'definitions' of ISO conflict with 100 years of photography.

You insist that ISO is a purely digital thing...

In the case of film, grain is visible by the size of grain which is formed relative to the amount of electrons which are successfully trapped to form atomic silver. The more locations where the electron can settle, the larger the silver cluster - thus the larger the grain. Chemically, sulfur is used to intentionally defect the halide crystal in a way that promotes this trapping.

Sparky - How much does this selective electron trapping resemble a semiconductor? If the amount of trapped electrons in atomic silver is seen as the output, could silver emulsion be seen as a light-variable amplifier? I've also always wondered if the conductive qualities of silver photography could be utilized in alternative processes.

I merely stated that film has ISO too, and that your 'definitions' of ISO conflict with 100 years of photography.

You insist that ISO is a purely digital thing...

Uh, since when? Care to point that out?

I'd think you could even calculate gain, by comparing the number of halide-disassociated electrons (available electrons) with the number of atomic silver-associated electrons (trapped electrons). The gain would always be less than or equal to 1.

You're doing fine, pass me a beer.

LOL. I think we're parked, man.

---

sparky isn't even touching my crazy talk!

Please forgive my noobness as I'm new to photography. How does ISO effect shutter speed?

....OP "excuse me,sir,could you tell me what time it is?
....REPLY "I'll do better than that,son......I'm gonna show ya how to build a watch....in the "Beginners Forum"...

(i like to imagine electrons falling off a trampoline)

Josh, I think the argument is that ISO is a standard as applied to sensitivity be it film or a digital sensor. Grain is a product of the size of the chemical grains used on each particular. Changing ISO in film changes the size of the grain where as the pixels on a digital sensor do not change size when the ISO is changed. Grain is peculiar to film where as Noise is peculiar to digital sensors.

Nice all around explanation: ISO Settings

Most reactions

New Topics

Back