ISO and shutter speed

Grain is peculiar to film where as Noise is peculiar to digital sensors.

yes. and the fact that they look somewhat similar is incidental, if not interpretive. The two really don't have anything to do with one another, or even behave similarly upon close examination.

Josh, I think the argument is that ISO is a standard as applied to sensitivity be it film or a digital sensor. Grain is a product of the size of the chemical grains used on each particular. Changing ISO in film changes the size of the grain where as the pixels on a digital sensor do not change size when the ISO is changed. Grain is peculiar to film where as Noise is peculiar to digital sensors.

Nice all around explanation: ISO Settings
No, the argument was that increased ISO equaled signal amplification. I said that definition was BS because it doesn't take film ISO (which is the same thing) into account. I compared grain to noise, and I realize that they aren't the same - I stupidly assumed that other people would be able to make the connection, but I was wrong.

Sparky seemed pretty clear that higher ISO was simply more processing, not more sensitivity...

ISO = system sensitivity, regardless how sensitivity is achieved, through electronic amplification or by sulfur sensitization...

---

But I suppose technically the sensitivity of the photo sensitive elements does not actually change...

No kidding. Already 3 pages of fighting about irrelevant details. Impressive.

Please forgive my noobness as I'm new to photography. How does ISO effect shutter speed?

....OP "excuse me,sir,could you tell me what time it is?
....REPLY "I'll do better than that,son......I'm gonna show ya how to build a watch....in the "Beginners Forum"...
Nobody started to discuss how to build a camera. Its more like:
A: "What time is it ?"
B: "Well local time is 18:00"
C: "Thats not correct, if you say 'local time' you also have to specify which locale, too."
D: "How would A know how to compute his local time from your local time ? You have to specify the time in GMT, thats universal."
E: "Why doesnt B just tell A his own local time ?"
F: "Its no longer called GMT !"
etc

Most reactions

New Topics

Back