ISO Film Suggestions

Alex Hopskotch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay well my current camera is a digital and even still it only has an ISO range from 50 to 400 and I just ordered a Canon AE-1P so I was wondering what film I should use to get the right exposure in certain places. I've read that normally people use 400 for street photography but, and bear in mind I'd like to avoid using flash (because I hate flash and because I don't have one for this camera), what would you use for night time street, indoors day, indoors night and has anyone used their film for concert photography?
I'm a total n00b to film but I'm eager to learn so any help would be really appreciated.

Proper exposure....well that is really judged on a shot by shot basis and the requirements there in. 200 and 400 will behave in much the same way as the equivalent in your digital, it's just a little more work changing speeds on the fly. Learn how to use the , meter and suggested F/stop on the righthand side of the viewfinder and the ASA Dial in the shutter speed dial. Proper exicution there will lead to proper exposure reguardless of the film speed.

Okay well my current camera is a digital and even still it only has an ISO range from 50 to 400 and I just ordered a Canon AE-1P so I was wondering what film I should use to get the right exposure in certain places. I've read that normally people use 400 for street photography but, and bear in mind I'd like to avoid using flash (because I hate flash and because I don't have one for this camera), what would you use for night time street, indoors day, indoors night and has anyone used their film for concert photography?
I'm a total n00b to film but I'm eager to learn so any help would be really appreciated.

If you're going to be shooting inside without flash the chances are that you'll need a tripod unless the room is very brightly sunlit.
Indoor night shots which might include light from incandescent light bulbs will need a blue colour correction filter to maintain a proper colour balance.
For concert photography I would suggest a fast film up to ISO800.
For general daytime photography in the summer months ISO200 should be ok.

I use Portra 800 as my general-purpose colour negative film if I don't know what light I will be shooting in. There's a recent thread about it here: link.

All colour negative film available for still cameras nowadays is balanced for daylight. The only tungsten-balanced negative film is motion picture film*.

If you use daylight-balanced colour negative film in tungsten light, such as that at most concerts, you may wish to 'overexpose' it a little (one or two stops) to improve the blues and make it easier to colour-correct during printing - the blue-sensitive layer can easily be underexposed, and the blue-sensitive layer tends to be the most grainy when underexposed. The alternative is to use a colour balancing filter: anything from a light blue to help with correction in post, to a full conversion filter that loses two stops.

*Edit. You can use MP film in a still camera, and if you buy 'short ends' and bulk load them yourself it is very cheap. The drawback is the processing of short lengths of MP film. It should not be processed by a normal C-41 lab because it will wreck the chemical baths with carbon particles. It can be processed by Dale (http://www.dalelabs.com/) in Hollywood, Florida.

Best,
Helen

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips everyone!
I'm going to order a tungsten correction filter now. I live in Ireland so sending off my stuff to FL to get developed isn't really that convenient, thanks anyway though!
I asked someone on flickr what film they used for an indoor tungsten shot and they said 800 ASA and I really like how that picture turned out so thats what I'll probably use for that.
This was the photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicoalesce/50097746/in/photostream/
Thanks again!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!
I'm going to order a tungsten correction filter now. I live in Ireland so sending off my stuff to FL to get developed isn't really that convenient, thanks anyway though!
I asked someone on flickr what film they used for an indoor tungsten shot and they said 800 ASA and I really like how that picture turned out so thats what I'll probably use for that.
This was the photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicoalesce/50097746/in/photostream/
Thanks again!

I use 800 alot, for just about everything, but be careful with it, underexposing it can be disasterous.

As I mentioned in my previous post, you don't really need a correction filter if you are using negative film, you can simply give more exposure - rate ISO 800 film at EI 400 for example. If you do get a filter, I suggest one of the partial light balancing filters such as the Wratten 82 series - maybe the 82C - along with a little more exposure. Full correction with the 80A will cost two stops - ie it will be like having ISO 200 film in your camera.

Best,
Helen

I am glad I stumbled across this. I have a box (20 rolls) of Kodak Supra 800. I have been wondering how to handle it. I have not had great results with 800iso film in the past. I will try over expose it ever so slightly to compensate for its age. it expired in 2003.

I still use film, even after 30 years. My preferred choice is Fujichrome Astia and Velvia. For night or low level light conditions I set my lens to its lowest aperture and let the camera set the speed. I also use a prime lens, usually in the range of 80mm. This usually gets good images. Also when possible I set my gear on a tripod.
Luis E Gonzalez

I always over expose by at least one stop.

What film you use is really going to depend on what lens you are using also. I use all f/1.2 - f/2.8 lenses. At f/1.2 i can get away with fujicolor pro 160c for outdoors. Even with f/2.8 i can use the same film if its a bright day.

Since i over expose my 160 film will actually be rated at 80. I mostly shoot with fujicolor pro 400 H for evening and early morning rated at 200.

Fir indoors, color i can get away with fuji 800 rated at 400 with the f/1.2 setting. But anything poorly lit ill have to use 1600 rated at 800 or my black and white film which is ilford delta 3200 professional or kodak tmax 3200...

You will have to see what works with your exposure formula.

How do you find 800iso film? I have a whole box of Supra 800 expired in 2003, its always been stored in a fridge. Any tips for getting good results with it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back